[act-ma] Interfaith Dessert & Dialogue: The Lemon Tree House on March 27, 7 pm

skip schiel skipschiel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 15:54:00 PDT 2010

Please join the Peace and Social Concerns Committee at Friends Meeting in
Cambridge for an Interfaith Dessert and Dialogue evening on Saturday, March
27th, Saturday, at 7pm.

We will hear about the “Lemon Tree” house in Ramle, Israel described in
Sandy Tolan’s book, *The Lemon Tree*, and Open House, the Arab and Jewish
children’s peace center that is in the house now. Our speaker will be
Yehezkel Landau, who co-founded Open House with Dalia Landau, the girl who
grew up in the house. Professor Landau will tell us about his
interfaith-based work on the Mideast conflict. Most importantly, he will
dialogue with us about peace-making and answer our questions.

We will begin with 2 short videos—an interview with Dalia who tells her
story, and a second video featuring conversations with the children in Open
House. The programs at Open House include a Head Start style pre-school for
Arab children and a summer peace camp for older Arab and Jewish children.

Dalia describes some of what happens: For the younger children, “Each day,
except when there was a trip, we had a morning circle where we discussed the
relationship between Self and Other, with educational activities around this
vital topic appropriate to each age group.” The older children “went from a
state of blindness…to a much better understanding of the other community and
its collective experience.”

Please see Dalia’s letters describing the 2009 programs on the Friends of
Open House website (www.FriendsofOpenHouse.org)
(Cambridge traffic department has agreed not to ticket in the area that
evening)

+++++++++++

Skip Schiel (a.k.a Ein al-Nour)

9 Sacramento St
Cambridge MA 02138-1843 USA
skipschiel at gmail.com
http://teeksaphoto.org
http://skipschiel.wordpress.com
617-441-7756 (home, PREFERRED)
617-230-6314 (cell/mobile)

To join my email list about my recent (summer 2009) experiences in
Palestine-Israel, along with postings related to that issue and very
personal reflections and photographs, please reply with SUBSCRIBE in the
subject line.

"It is quite hard at times to distinguish a genius from a lunatic."

—Dorothy Thompson