[act-ma] PICKET @ HARVARD THURS 3/25 5 p.m.!!

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:53:25 PDT 2010

*Dear Sisters and Brothers,

Through a combination of layoffs, attrition, and an early retirement "offer"
made amid constant threats of job losses, Harvard shed 340 clerical union
jobs last year. Some laid-off union members, who lost their jobs last June,
still haven't found work. Others labor as temps without any sick or vacation
time, or any meaningful benefits. Workers in my union have had their
full-year jobs converted into "seasonal" positions, slashing their salaries.
Others have faced mandatory furloughs without any pay or unemployment
benefits.

Meanwhile, Harvard received $121 million in Federal stimulus money just in
the last quarter. The University also got $600 million in gifts last year.
The endowment remains about *$26 billion*.

Please join us as we picket, to press Harvard to create more union jobs,
stop exploiting temps, and re-hire the laid-off HUCTW members into union
jobs!** Our action will take place this Thursday, March 25, at 5 p.m., 1350
Mass. Ave., Cambridge, less than a block from the Harvard MBTA stop & next
to Au Bon Pain. Please join us! A flyer is attached with more details.

Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=333146782863#!/event.php?eid=333146782863&ref=mf<http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=333146782863#%21/event.php?eid=333146782863&ref=mf>

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME local 3650*