[act-ma] Huge Green Event this weekend -- Hansen to speak Sat, 3pm

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Fri Apr 9 13:20:06 PDT 2010

http://www.d2eboston.com/events/events.php?id=saturday
Where & When
Join us at the Hynes Convention Center (900 Boylston St., Boston):

Friday, April 9 - 5:00pm-9:00pm
Saturday, April 10 - 11:00am-7:00pm
Sunday, April 11 - 11:00am-5:00pm
KEYNOTE: Dr. James Hansen on Climate Change
Saturday Time: 3:00pm | Location: Main Stage

Dr. James Hansen will discuss the themes presented in his first book, Storms of My Grandchildren.  Hansen argues that we no longer can accept the greenwash of politicians and world leaders. He will discuss how greater grassroots efforts must help mobilize the masses, even through acts of civil resistance, for the sake of our children and their children. The title of his book refers to his growing concerns about the world his grandchildren may inhabit if we do not do all in our power to address man-made pollution to the atmosphere. The book brings together three decades of research to explain for a general readership the science behind global warming. He will discuss this and also talk about his impartial challenge to politicians globally-on either end of the spectrum-to accept the reality of the science and take the necessary steps to forestall further damage to the environment.

Dr. James Hansen, Noted Climate Scientist

Jim Hansen is best known for his accurate predictions about global warming since the 1980s, as well as his advising Al Gore on An Inconvenient Truth. He is a frequent expert witness on Capitol Hill and the subject of numerous articles and profiles (including a recent feature piece by The New Yorker).

An adjunct professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University and at Columbia's Earth Institute, and director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, he is frequently called to testify before Congress on climate issues. Dr. Hansen's background in both space and earth sciences allows a broad perspective on the status and prospects of our home planet.

Living Systems Design - Saturday, April 10, 2:00pm

Sustainability is ultimately about sustaining all life. The current trend of making buildings, cars, light bulbs, products and processes more efficient is simply the beginning point for achieving this goal.

Bill Reed , Integrative Design Collaborative Learn More

Taking Responsibility For Water - Sunday, April 11, 1:00pm

Learn about issues related to regional water supply, quality and rights.

Patrick Herron, Mystic River Watershed Association; Cynthia Carlson, UNH PhD Candidate; Charles Hernick, The Cadmus Group, Inc.; John Stewart, Corporate Accountability International Learn More

The Future of Energy -Sunday, April 11,  2:00pm
What does our energy future look like from the citizen's point of view? With talk of off-the-grid, bloom boxes and retrofitting it is easy to get lost in the jargon. Join us for a panel to explore what your energy future may look like

Moderator: Melissa Withers, Executive Director - Business Innovation Factory; Panelists: Laura Bartsch, Millville Partners; Barun Singh, WegoWise; Bilal Zuberi, General Catalyst Partners Learn More