[act-ma] 5/12 Place Matters: Film/discussion on health disparities(Wed)

janet at communitychangeinc.org janet at communitychangeinc.org
Mon May 3 10:45:02 PDT 2010

CCI Antiracism Film/Discussion Series:
  Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?

Please join us for a viewing and community conversation of the film

PLACE MATTERS

Why is your street address such a good predictor of your health?
Living in a disadvantaged neighborhood leads to a 50-80% increase in
risk for heart disease ? the number 1 killer in the U.S. One reason is
chronic stress. Worrying about violence, lousy schools, and unpaid
bills; living in substandard housing or a polluted environment; not
having good access to fresh food, reliable transportation, or safe
public spaces ? all of these have a negative, even toxic effect on
health.

MAY 12 (Wed)
Noon-1:30 p.m.
The Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 604

As Harvard?s David Williams reminds us, ?housing policy is health
policy. Neighborhood improvement policies are health policies.? Health
of individuals is improved when residents, government agencies, local
officials, foundations and private business work together and take
health into account.

Please join Community Change staff and friends for a screening of this
film followed by a community conversation. Please bring your lunch.
Beverages will be provided. $5 contribution requested. RESERVATIONS
REQUIRED: RSVP 617-523-0555, janet at communitychangeinc.org

Community Change, Inc. was born out of the Civil Rights Movement and
problem." Since 1968, CCI has done what few organizations are willing
to do: shine a spotlight on the roots of racism in white culture with
the intention of dealing with racism at its source, as well as with
its impact on communities of color.

Place Matters is the 5th film in the series Unnatural Causes, a
groundbreaking film series that reveals some reasons why some of us
get sicker more often and die sooner. There?s more to our wellbeing
than genes, behaviors, and medical care; Unnatural Causes documents
how inequities in the rest of our lives ? the jobs we do, the stress
we experience, the neighborhoods we live in ? can get under the skin
and disrupt our biology as surely as germs and viruses. Solutions lie
not in more pills but in more equitable social policies.