[act-ma] 6/23 Not Just a Paycheck: film/discussion (Wed)

janet at communitychangeinc.org janet at communitychangeinc.org
Mon Jun 14 08:53:56 PDT 2010

CCI Antiracism Film/Discussion Series:
  Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?

Please join us for a screening and community conversation of the film

NOT JUST A PAYCHECK

In the winter of 2006, the Electrolux Corporation closed the largest
refrigerator factory in the US and moved it from Michigan to Mexico
for cheaper labor. As personal finances of laid off workers spiraled
downward, health followed. In the year after the plant closure, the
local hospital?s caseload tripled because of depression, alcoholism
and domestic abuse. Heart disease and mortality are also predicted to
rise affecting workers, their families, and entire communities.

June 23 (Wed)
Noon-1:30 p.m.
The Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 604
Boston MA

When Electrolux shut down one of its plants in Vastervick Sweden, it
caused hardly a ripple. Laid-off workers received 80% of their salary
in unemployment benefits as well as education and training for new
jobs. Electrolux also paid $3 million to stimulate the creation of
start-up businesses in Vastervick after pressure from the union and
government. The town of Greenville MI received nothing.

Social policy is health policy. In America, at least for the time
being, workers are left to fend for themselves and we all pay the
price in both health and wealth.

Please join Community Change staff and friends for a screening of this
film followed by a community conversation. Please bring your lunch.
Beverages will be provided. $5 contribution requested. RESERVATIONS
REQUIRED: RSVP 617-523-0555, janet at communitychangeinc.org

Not Just a Paycheck is the final episode of Unnatural Causes, a
groundbreaking film series that reveals some reasons why some of us
get sicker more often and die sooner. There?s more to our wellbeing
than genes, behaviors, and medical care; Unnatural Causes documents
how inequities in the rest of our lives ? the jobs we do, the stress
we experience, the neighborhoods we live in ? can get under the skin
and disrupt our biology as surely as germs and viruses. Solutions lie
not in more pills but in more equitable social policies.

Community Change, Inc. was born out of the Civil Rights Movement and
problem." Since 1968, CCI has done what few organizations are willing
to do: shine a spotlight on the roots of racism in white culture with
the intention of dealing with racism at its source, as well as with
its impact on communities of color.