[act-ma] Communal Frederick Douglass Reading

Alexandra Le Blanc leblanac at bc.edu
Wed Jun 23 07:31:50 PDT 2010

7/1/10 Communal Frederick Douglass Reading (Thur)

Community Change, Inc info at communitychangeinc.org

Participate in a public communal reading of Fredrick Douglass' remarkable speech “The Meaning of the Fourth of July for the Negro”.

Thursday, July 1, 2010,
12 noon
On the Boston Common
behind the 54th Regiment Memorial
(corner of Park & Beacon Streets), Boston, MA
(If it rains, the meeting will take place in the State House)

For the past several years Community Change has gathered people for a Brown Bag Luncheon around the 4th of July to do a communal reading of an abridged version of Frederick Douglass' remarkable speech: What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?  We come together to reflect on the meaning and implications of this July 5, 1852 speech for the present day.

Last year we began a collaboration with the organizations listed below to expand this event and have readings hosted though out the state.  Last June, over 100 people participated in our kickoff event in the Boston Common.

This year, as we mark the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, we invite you to join us once again on the Boston Common to read and listen to Douglass' words and reflect on their significance for the present day. This event is one of several being held across the state!

The event is sponsored by Community Change, Inc.,  Mass Humanities,  the Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice, the Boston African American National Historic Site, and  MA Office of Access and Opportunity

Visit www.communitychangeinc.org or contact us at 617-523-0555 for more information