[act-ma] WED 7/21 NOON -- HARVARD WORKERS PICKET/MARCH!! JUSTICE 4 JOAN!

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:13:06 PDT 2010

*Dear All,

**Wednesday, July 21 at noon, Harvard workers and their allies will demand
"Justice for Joan!" **We are calling a  picket and march to protest the
treatment meted out to our union sister Joan Frankel. For 24 years Joan got
glowing evaluations. She was promoted in '08. She got another good
evaluation in '09. She has many written compliments from co-workers. Then
Joan came under attack. She got her first written warning in more than two
decades' excellent service on 3/16/10. A final written warning came on
6/1/10. Joan got her termination notice 7/6/10. Management can't even
articulate why she's being fired. The discipline against her is inflated,
confused and contradictory. Joan believes she's been targeted because the
boss sees her as too expensive.

It seems everyone has a story of a longer-service worker hounded from
employment a few years before she's earned some modest retirement security.
Let's not let it happen again! Harvard can well afford to treat its workers
better. Please join union members, students, and other people with a
conscience as we demand JUSTICE FOR JOAN!

We'll gather at noon at Holyoke Center (1350 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, next to
Au Bon Pain, very close to the Harvard MBTA stop). Please join us in our
march to Joan's nearby workplace (Pierce Hall, 29 Oxford St. Cambridge) to
demand her reinstatement.

A flyer is attached. Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=139317766095311<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/event.php?eid=139317766095311>Feel
free to forward this message *widely.*

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME local 3650
*