[act-ma] Colombia Vive Film Series: Who Shot My Brother? (7/28/10)

Daniel Feder dafeder at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 07:39:13 PDT 2010

Colombian Independence Month
A Film Series at The Lucy Parsons Center
Presented by Colombia Vive

July 21-Aug 11
Wednesdays at 7:00pm

This Wedndesday, July 28:

** Who Shot My Brother? **

http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/wsmb.html

Some phone calls can turn your life upside down. That's what happened
to filmmaker German Gutierrez when he received a call from Colombia,
informing him there had just been an assassination attempt on his
older brother Oscar, a political activist hated by the establishment
but adored by the disenfranchised. In this film, German Gutierrez, who
has been living in Montreal for the past thirty years, recounts his
quest to find the hired gunmen who tried to kill Oscar and expose the
roots of violence that have taken hold of his native country.

This beautifully filmed political documentary takes a courageous look
at what Colombia has become: a lawless, neo-liberal Far West run by a
corrupt middle class; an Eldorado where oil is more precious than gold
and where Americans are the puppet masters pulling the strings while
drug traffickers, guerrillas and paramilitaries engage in all-out
combat with each other as the war on drugs rages on.

This screening will include a discussion with Luis R.
Fernandez-Castro, Colombian human rights defender who now resides in
Boston, and other members Colombia Vive. We hope to see you there!

July 28, 7:00pm.
Lucy Parsons Center
549 Columbus Ave.
Boston, MA

www.colombiavive.org
www.lucyparsons.org

Colombia Vive is an all-volunteer organization that supports efforts
for peace, human rights and social justice in Colombia. We condemn all
forms of oppression and do not support any of the armed actors in the
Colombian conflict.