[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Aug 15 20:07:19 PDT 2010

Harvard

Thursday, August 19, 2010
Doors open at 7:00 pm; programs begin at 7:30 pm
"Is Anybody Out There? The Search for ET with Help from Eight Million
Volunteers," Dr. Daniel Werthimer, UC Berkeley
Tonight, Dan Werthimer will discuss the possibility of life in the
universe, the search for radio and optical signals from other
civilizations, and public participation science. The SETI at home project
analyzes data from the world's largest radio telescope using desktop
computers from millions of volunteers. SETI at home participants have
formed one of Earth's most powerful supercomputers; users have the
small but captivating possibility their computer will detect the first
signal from a civilization beyond Earth. Werthimer will also discuss
next generation telescopes and speculate on when Earthlings might
discover other civilizations.

Phillips Auditorium at the Center for Astrophysics, 60 Garden Street,
Cambridge

Other

Come hear Boston College's Charlie Derber on Solving Climate Change
Thursday, August 19, 2010; 6:30 p.m.
Somerville Public Library (Main Branch),79 Highland Ave, Somerville,
MA 02143

Charles Derber speaks on his hopeful book, From Greed to Green:
Solving Climate Change and Remaking the Economy.
This presentation is organized by the Majority Agenda Project and
Mass. Global Action.

For more information, directions, and flyer, please visit:
http://bit.ly/d2Znvs or call 781-662-7299, or email
gobeiltchen at earthlink.net

------------------------------

August 19-21, Boston City Hall Plaza
Thursday   10 AM to 4:30 PM   Green Jobs Forum
Thursday      5 PM to 10 PM       Kick-Off Concert
Friday          10 AM to 10 PM (Exhibits 10 AM to 6 PM)
Saturday     10 AM to 10 PM (Exhibits 10 AM to 4 PM)

Gubernatorial Green Debate! Sat. Aug 21st 4 pm.
Talk to the Candidates! 20,000 Seats!

FREE ADMISSION - GRATIS - GRATUIT COME JOIN US ON CITY HALL PLAZA!
¡VENGAN A LA PLAZA DE LA ALCALDIA!
VENEZ TOUS A L'HOTEL DE VILLE!

http://www.bostongreenfest.org/

Editorial Comment:  I may show up on Friday with some of my solar
models.

---------------------------------------

Say Hi to PubCampBoston (Saturday, 8/21)
Published on 08.04.2010 by nxu in Local Camps
We see Boston as both a media-rich and tech-rich city. We think
Boston’s pubmedia presence should draw upon its resources and become a
leader in media innovation. By throwing open the doors of the imposing
new WGBH station for one day, we want writers, producers, designers,
hackers, developers, community leaders and long-time media makers to
bring in talent and leave with work to do. We want to increase the new
media reporting we see growing throughout public media. We expect
public media staffers to form new working relationships with guests
who can inform their stories on local and national levels. We expect
guests to leave having a new sense of access to their local public
media stations. We expect to have new seedlings of ideas to incubate
in our local news and public media stations, with the help of new
friends. We expect the people of Boston to know “something happened”
at 1 Guest Street on August 21 that changed how their media stations
work together.

When: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. Saturday, August 21

Where: WGBH Educational Foundation | One Guest Street, Boston MA, 02135

This event was organized with the help of people from WGBH, WBUR,
OpenMediaBoston.org, PRX and PEG access stations in Brookline and
Cambridge.

Learn more about our goals for the PublicMediaCamp here

After registering (http://pubcampboston.eventbrite.com/), you may
suggest a session you would like to lead on the wiki athttp://wiki.publicmediacamp.org/PubCampBostonSchedule

Upcoming

Boston Solutions Lab September 16, 2010 at Microsoft NERD Center

"This year, the event is co-organized by Environmental Defense Fund,
Pew Center on Global Climate Change, Net Impact Boston, Rocky Mountain
Institute, Ashoka,  GreenBiz.com, and other partners.  The central
theme of the day will be how companies are overcoming the barriers to
energy efficiency.  We’ll bring together experts in energy efficiency
from leading companies, financial institutions, NGOs, and government
agencies to ensure a high-value experience for all.

"Please plan to join us - and spread the word!  Visit the Solutions
Lab – Boston registration page (http://gibn2010boston.eventbrite.com/)
for more information and to register.

"This year, we are encouraging participants to:

	• Tell us what specific topics they would like to discuss by
completing a survey upon registering.
	• Contribute to the "Solutions Salon":  If you have a specific
challenge you would like the collective brainpower of the Solutions
Lab to tackle, let us know via the wiki."
Event Details

What: Green Innovation in Business Network: Boston Solutions Lab 2010

When: Thursday, September 16th, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (followed by a
networking reception)

Where: Microsoft New England Research & Development Center

One Memorial Drive

Cambridge, MA 02142

Editorial Comment:  I went to last year's conference and ended up
leading one of the workshops (on zero emissions).  It costs $75 for
the day but it is well worth it and part of a series of Solutions Labs
the organizers have been doing around the country.  In general, Energy
(and Other) Events avoids paid events but makes exceptions from time
to time.

Links to events at over 30 colleges and universities at Hubevents (http://hubevents.blogspot.com
)
Thanks to Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering
in the Boston Area (http://fhapgood.fastmail.fm/site02.html)
Boston Area Computer User Groups  http://www.bugc.org/