[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Aug 22 19:41:44 PDT 2010

Other

Wednesday, August 25

6:30 - 9:30pm

SIGGRAPH 2010 Electronic Theater Animation Festival

MIT Campus Stata Center, 32-123
32 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

6:30pm - 7:30pm - meeting people, talking and networking.
7:30pm - 9:30pm - We will be seeing the SIGGRAPH 2010 Electronic
Theater Festival
Please RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Boston-Maya-Users-Group

August 29th, Thursday

7:30pm

Bill McKibben Speaks About His New Book, Eaarth

Cary Hall, 1605 Massachusetts Avenue, Lexington, MA.  Free Admission.

You can hear Bill McKibben speak in person about his new book,
'Eaarth'.  In this Green-Sanctuary group recommended book, he says our
hope depends on building the kind of societies that can concentrate on
essentials.  This book is being sold by the Green Sanctuary group at
Sunday coffee hours.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 27

6 to 8 PM

Hyde Square Green Zone kick-off party

Hyde Square Task Force's Cheverus Bldg, behind the church at 365
Centre Street, Jamaica Plain

Make your home more affordable and comfortable and help start the Hyde
Square Green Zone

Come learn about energy-saving tips and resources for your home and
neighborhood.
Refreshments will be served!   Kids welcome!

Sponsored by the Cool JP committee of Boston Climate Action Network
(BostonCAN.org)  857-544-6846

http://bostoncan.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/hyde-square-green-zone-kick-off-party/

What's a "Green Zone," you ask?

A "green zone" or "green block" is an area where neighbors decide
to work together to cut their energy use significantly.

Are you wondering if your home is an ENERGY HOG? Or are you disgusted
by the oil drilling mess in the Gulf of Mexico? Or  maybe you're
anxious to get a job in the rising Green Wave of energy efficiency
jobs. If so, joining with your neighbors to create a “green
block” is a great way to turn your personal action into political
action.

Recently Boston Climate Action Network launched an initiative called
"Cool JP," a campaign that aims to get at least 25% of JP's 12,300
households involved to lowering their carbon footprints by 25% (per
household) in 3 years. This is part of a larger Cool Mass project lead
by Mass Climate Action Network and we hope our Cool JP pilot project
will generate ideas that will catch on throughout Boston's diverse
neighborhoods.

One way we're engaging folks in Boston is through creating GREEN
BLOCKS and GREEN ZONES where neighbors learn and work together to
reduce their energy bills and make their homes and neighborhoods more
sustainable. By talking together about energy conservation, we can
pool information and share our lists of what types of work we might
undertake to make our homes more efficient. If we have a long list of
potential work in a small area, we can attract contractors who are
able to pay better wages to their workers and offer us a group discount.

BostonCAN can help you reach out to your neighbors and get started:
with smart energy parties, low carbon living groups, home energy coach
visits, weatherization barn-raisings, and collective approaches to
landlords and to contractors about cost-effective energy efficiency
improvements. Get involved by coming out on August 27, signing up for
updates, or calling us at 857-544-6846 to volunteer.

Hope to see you soon!

Loie

617-278-1885

Institute, WGBH.  Lots and lots of subjects and speakers to choose
from, individual talks and ongoing series.  It looks like a much wider
ranging version of what CSPAN II does with their Book TV every weekend.

Artisan Asylum, http://artisansasylum.com/, a public workshop, offers
a series of skill-building courses.

Boston Latin Youth School Climate Action Network, http://www.blsyouthcan.org/
, could use your help in winning a grant to build a green roof on
America's oldest public school.  See their website for further details.

Links to events at over 30 colleges and universities at Hubevents (http://hubevents.blogspot.com
)
Thanks to Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering
in the Boston Area (http://fhapgood.fastmail.fm/site02.html)
Boston Area Computer User Groups  http://www.bugc.org/