[act-ma] TODAY! RALLY AGAINST AGE DISCRIMINATION, SUPPORT JOAN FRANKEL, 5 PM, HOLYOKE CTR., 1350 MASS AVE CAMBRIDGE

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 06:17:02 PDT 2010

*Dear All,

Front page of today's New York Times: out of 14.9 million *officially*
unemployed, over 2.2 million are age 55 or older; nearly half of them have
been out of work for six months or longer. Please help fight age
discrimination today & join our picket supporting unfairly-fired HUCTW
member Joan Frankel!

Joan worked at Harvard for 25 years. She got great job evaluations and was
promoted as recently as 2008. Her supervisor gave her another very good job
review in '09. But starting this year, Joan was inundated with extra work
and impossible deadlines. In no time she was receiving unfair discipline.
She got her first written warning ever on 3/16/10 and was told she'd be
fired by 7/6/10.

Joan has an excellent reputation among colleagues as a dedicated, diligent
worker who skillfully performed her demanding job. Union members want to
know why our long-serving union sister was so swiftly fired. Many believe
the real reason is age discrimination! Joan has filed a lawsuit at the Mass
Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD). Union members and our allies will
demonstrate against Joan's firing on Monday, September 20, starting at 5
p.m., at Harvard's Holyoke Center (1350 Mass. Ave. Cambridge, next to Au Bon
Pain, one block from the Harvard T). Please join us and help strike a blow
for workers' rights!! Our action will feature performers including Riot
Folk-singer Evan Greer, and the radical cheerleaders Boston Sass Attack.

Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=146038025434384&ref=mf<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/event.php?eid=146038025434384&ref=mf>

A flyer is attached with more info. Please forward this email everywhere!

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME local 3650
* --