[act-ma] 2mrw--Mon. 9/27- 4pm - Protest FBI Attacks on Progressives in Minneapolis & Chicago

Bryan Koulouris brykoulouris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 14:46:58 PDT 2010

PROTEST FBI ATTACKS ON PROGRESSIVES IN MINNEAPOLIS AND CHICAGO

WHEN: Monday, September 27, 2010 -- Between 4pm - 6pm.
WHERE: In front of the offices of the FBI. JFK Building. Government Center,
Boston
WHAT: Bring your signs, chants and outrage at this latest attack on freedom
of expresion and political dissent

The government of Barack Obama is responsible for the acts of the FBI and we
should demand an explanation and an immediate stop to the persecution of
progressive activists. People in the U.S. should remember the Palmer Raids
of yesteryears and say that we will not tolerate a repeat of history. We
also have to work towards repealing the law that allows the state to
persecute progressives: the Patriot Act.

Our solidarity goes to all the activists that have been targeted on this act
of repression and intimidation.

Below is a brief news summary of the events we protest:

The FBI searched eight homes in Minneapolis and Chicago as part of a
"terrorism" investigation on Friday 9/24. FBI spokesman Steve Warfield told
The Associated Press agents served six warrants in Minneapolis and two in
Chicago ."These were search warrants only," Warfield said. "We're not
anticipating any arrests at this time. They're seeking evidence relating to
activities concerning the material support of terrorism." The home of
Minneapolis anti-war activists Mick Kelly and Jess Sundin were among those
searched, they told the AP.

"The FBI is harassing anti-war organizers and leaders, folks who opposed
U.S. intervention in the Middle East and Latin America ," Kelly said before
agents confiscated his cell phone. Sundin called the suggestion they were
connected with terrorism "pretty hilarious and ridiculous." The agents took
"computers, several boxes of papers, everything related to data like discs,"
Sundin said.

Both Sundin and Kelly were organizers of a mass march on the first day of
the Democratic National Convention in St. Paul two years ago, and recently
appeared at a news conference to announce plans for another protest if
Minneapolis is selected to hold the 2012 Democratic National Convention.
Police estimated the peaceful march drew 10,000 protesters; organizers put
the figure at 30,000. More than 800 people were arrested during the four
days of the convention, including Sundin and Kelly. Sundin said they've
already sought permits for 2012, "something I don't think terrorists would
do."

Call issued by the Boston May Day Committee.
(If you would like to co-sponsor please send a quick note to
info at bostonmayday.org - Thanks!)