[act-ma] Wed Sept 29: Film, Scarred Lands & Wounded Lives

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Sun Sep 26 19:10:57 PDT 2010

            Film Showing and Discussion

             Scarred Lands &

            Wounded Lives:

            The Environmental Footprint

            of War

            This compelling and haunting documentary of war’s “silent casualty” -- the environment -- explores the under-reported, even ignored, ecological ramifications of war.

            Weaving together scientific and eyewitness accounts from Vietnam and Afghanistan to Australia and the Pacific Islands, supported by onsite and archival footage, Scarred Lands & Wounded Lives vividly portrays the long-term damage to our planet resulting from the testing and production of weapons through the array of destruction from bombs, chemicals, guns and unexploded ordnance.  The film confronts the immensely broad environmental devastation of war: pollution of our land, air and water and destruction of our biodiversity and entire ecosystems.

            The scale of environmental damage over the last half century is unprecedented, exacerbated by increasingly toxic weapons and strategies of war.  In the context of today's growing awareness and alarm about climate change and the future of Mother Earth, this timely film explores the crucial need for an accounting of the ecological costs and consequences of war.  The very sustainability of our planet is at stake.

            Wednesday, September 29

            7:00 pm

            Watertown Free Public Library

            123 Main Street, Watertown

            Sponsored by the Peace and Justice Task Force

            Watertown Citizens for Environmental Safety

            www.watertowncitizens.org; mail at watertowncitizens.org

            or call 617/926-8588 for further information