[act-ma] TONIGHT @ the JP Forum: Boston Climate Report Back Carl Spector, Viki Bok and Rebecca Park

Liz Wambui lizw at ips-dc.org
Fri Oct 1 08:39:26 PDT 2010

Boston Climate Report Back with Carl Spector, Viki Bok and Rebecca Park

When: Friday October 1 at 7:00 PM
Where: First Church in Jamaica Plain Unitarian Universalist, 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain
Speakers: Carl Spector, Viki Bok and Rebecca Park

In March 2009, Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced the formation of the Boston Climate Action Leadership Committee and Community Advisory Committee. The charge to the committees was to give recommendations to the Mayor on the next set of goals, policies, and programs that Boston should establish for itself as it confronts the risks and opportunities of global climate change. Following a year-long public process, the committees presented Mayor Menino with a consensus report: Sparking Boston's Climate Revolution. The report contains wide-ranging recommendations for reducing Boston's contribution to climate change, addressing the changes we cannot avoid, and engaging the entire Boston community in the effort.

In April, the Boston Climate Action Leadership Committee released its recommendations to Mayor Menino.  It calls for Boston to reduce carbon emissions by 25 percent by 2020 and begin adapting to a changing climate. Come hear a report from JP residents and commission members and learn about ways to be involved in implementing Boston's new climate action plan going forward.

To learn more about the report, visit http://www.cityofboston.gov/climate/

NEXT WEDNESDAY---

Beehive Collective: The True Cost of Coal: Mountaintop Removal and the Fight for Our Future

When: Wednesday October 6 at 7:00 PM
Where: First Church in Jamaica Plain Unitarian Universalist, 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain
Speakers: The Beehive Collective

Long-exploited as a resource-extraction colony within the U.S., the Appalachian Mountains are home to a fight for survival whose outcome will determine in part the industrial might of this country. Our insatiable demand for cheap power has lead to the most extreme, devastating form of coal mining yet, Mountaintop Removal (MTR). The TRUE COST OF COAL graphic is an elaborate narrative illustration that visually explores the interconnections between ENERGY, RESOURCE EXTRACTION, CLIMATE CHANGE and GRASSROOTS RESILIENCY.

Teaming with intricate images of plants and animals from the most bio-diverse temperate forest on the planet, the  TRUE COST OF COAL is the culmination of the two years of an intensive and collaborative research process. To create the graphic, the Beehive intertwined hundreds of community members through the Appalachian region. The image id a patchwork "quilt" of anecdotes, statistics, and history that strives to share stories of how coal mining and mountaintop removal affects communities and ecosystems throughout Appalachia and beyond.

The TRUE COST OF COAL will challenge all of us who casually flip on a light switch to examine our own connections to MTR and to think about what we can do to top it within our own communities

To learn more, please visit www.beehivecollective.org

Elizabeth Wambui
Institute for Policy Studies-Northeast Office
Office Manager and Jamaica Plain Forum Coordinator
E-Mail: LizW at Ips-dc.org
Program on Inequality and Common Good
www.extremeinequality.org
www.jamaicaplainforum.org