[act-ma] 11/07 An Iranian Odyssey: Mossadegh, Oil, and the 1953 CIA Coup

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sun Nov 7 07:01:21 PST 2010

Passing this along, Charlie

Dear Fellow Bostonians;

This coming Sunday (Nov. 7 at 5pm), we will be screening a great
documentry about an important era in the history of Iran that you can
learn about its details in the attached PDF flyer or following text.

Please feel free to forward it to anyone on your mailing list.

Thanks.

BIC
Boston Iranians Coaltion (BIC)
Boston.Iranians at gmail.com

---------- Sun., Nov. 7 Event at 5pm  ----------

Movie Screening of:
 "An Iranian Odyssey: Mossadegh, Oil, and the 1953 CIA Coup”

Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010
5-6:30 pm
(This movie starts promptly at 5:00 pm and will be followed by a
public discussion.)
Please note that Daylight Saving Time ends on midnight this Saturday!

MIT Lecture Hall 56-114
(Building 56, 1st Floor, Room 114)
77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139
Map: http://whereis.mit.edu/?mapterms=56
(Take the Red Line to Kendal-MIT T-Station and
if you are driving you can use any of the MIT parking lots for free !)

This acclaimed documentary describes the 1950’s crucial events in
Iran, including the Nationalization of Oil and the CIA-backed 1953
coup which toppled the democratically elected government of Prime
Minister Dr. Mohammad Mosaddegh and restored MohammadReza Pahlavi to
his throne.

Stephen Kinzer, the veteran New York Times correspondent, in his 2003
book titled ”All the Shah's Men” analyzes this coup and concludes that
it was one the main roots of the 1979 Revolution in Iran which brought
the fundamentalist regime of Khomeini (currently represented by the
criminal regime of Khamenei-Ahmadinejad) to power.

In one of our upcoming events, we will be screening a movie by Shirin
Neshat called “Women without Men”. This week documentary will be a
great introduction for better understanding and enjoying of Shirin
Neshat’s movie. This event is open to public and admission is free.

More Info:
تاریخ در مورد ملی شدن نفت و دکتر محمد مصدق چه میگوید؟
http://shirin.mit.edu/blog/?p=780 (فارسی، کامل)
What does history say about” Iran Oil Nationalization”?
http://shirin-center.org/oilNationalization  (English, summary)
Contemporary History of Iran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Y5DIQxDAs

Event Updates: