[act-ma] 11/22 8:30pm - Resilience in Afghanistan: A Photographer's Reportback (Webinar)

United for Justice with Peace ujpcoalition at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 11:30:57 PST 2010

  Resilience in Afghanistan: A Photographer's Reportback

Connie Frisbie Houde, Global Village Photographer
<http://globalphotographer.wordpress.com/>, presents a photographic
reportback by webinar from her trip to Afghanistan in August.   (A
webinar works like a conference call, but you also sit at your computer
and see the photographs while Connie is speaking.)

*When: *Monday, November 22, 8:30-9:30 p.m. Eastern time
*Webinar Login: *Go to http://www.freebinar.com/rozziecole1
*Phone Conference: *Call 702-473-3463, conference id 769943#
We suggest connecting 5 minutes early to make sure you are ready.

"I have been traveling, researching, studying and photographing
Afghanistan since 2003 when I first visited Kabul. During that February
visit I reacquainted myself with Tom Little, a childhood playmate, and
his wife Libby, a high school classmate. Our relationship deepened has I
learned of Tom’s work with the National Organization of Ophthalmic
Rehabilitation Eye Care Program and returned to document this program.
In succeeding visits in 2004, 2005, and 2009 in Afghanistan and at
dinners in our home or theirs when they were on home leave in the US, we
spent many hours talking about Afghanistan as they shared their
experiences," Connie writes.

"I was traveling in Afghanistan in August, planning to connect with Tom
after his expedition to Nuristan with a team of aid workers, when I
learned of their tragic deaths. As a result of the uncertain security
situation my travel plans were curtailed.  I chose to stay in Kabul and
bear witness to the burial and memorial service for an amazing human
being, a very special friend and mentor."

"The photographs I did take represent my vision of the resilience and
exquisiteness of humanity that I see in the Afghans. I realize that we
have much to share with each other as we bridge the differences from
culture to culture.  If we are lucky, we discover that there are many
similarities that become a means of commonality as we build a global
village."

Connie will talk about how she has seen a change in the security for aid
workers and the effect of the rogue "Taliban" groups.  She will describe
two different aid projects giving her analysis of why one is successful
and the other is problematical.  She also will discuss the different
Afghan reactions to the continued military presence and what she sees
behind the different responses.

Sponsored by United for Peace and Justice, Afghanistan Working Group
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=4110>

Questions: ufpjafghanistan at gmail.com <mailto:ufpjafghanistan at gmail.com>

Read back issues of the Afghanistan War Weekly
<http://justicewithpeace.org/aww-archive>

<http://justicewithpeace.org>

United for Justice with Peace <http://justicewithpeace.org> is a
coalition of peace and justice organizations and community peace groups
in the Greater Boston region. The UJP Coalition, formed after September
11th, seeks global peace through social and economic justice.

/Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP
today. <http://justicewithpeace.org/donate>/

ujpcoalition at gmail.com <mailto:ujpcoalition at gmail.com>

	617-383-4UJP *(NEW!)* 	www.justicewithpeace.org
<http://www.justicewithpeace.org>

Upcoming Events:

Resilience in Afghanistan: A Photographer's Reportback
<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2021> 	Mon Nov 22 	8:30pm 	Webinar /
Conference Call

Where’s The Accountability During The “War On Terror"?
<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2029> 	Wed Dec 1 	12:30pm 	First
Church Congregational 	Cambridge 	Center for Constitutional Rights
City Council Hearing and Vote on Chuck Turner
<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2041> 	Wed Dec 1 	3:00pm 	Boston City
Hall 	Boston
A Holiday Party to Benefit UJP
<http://justicewithpeace.org/holiday-party> 	Fri Dec 10 	7:00pm 	private
home 	West Newton
Brown Bag Lunch Vigil: Stop the Afghanistan War!
<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2032> 	Wed Dec 15 	12:00pm 	downstairs
from Senator John Kerry's Office 	Boston
Massachusetts Peace Action Annual Meeting
<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2004> 	Sat Jan 29 	1:00pm 	tbd

/More Peace and Justice Events
<http://justicewithpeace.org/upcoming-events>.    How to Submit Events
<http://justicewithpeace.org/posting-events>/