[act-ma] Student Immigrant Movement Looking for Youth Lead Organizer!
Lai Wa Wu
juelz123 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 13:22:08 PST 2011
The Student Immigrant Movement (SIM) is a statewide immigrant youth-led
organization based in Massachusetts. We identify, recruit and develop
leaders in local cities and towns who are invested in improving their
communities through relational building, leadership development, electoral
organizing and using both strategic and motivational campaigns that build
Our vision is that all immigrant students have equal access to higher
education, are not discriminated based on their immigration status,
collectively realize their full potential, define their own identity and
become fully engaged in every aspect of society that affects their lives.
FULL-TIME YOUTH/COMMUNITY LEAD ORGANIZER
Job Description as Lead Organizer:
- 2- 3 yrs commitment preferred.
- Strong commitment shown to work with immigrant community.
- Experience working with immigrant communities of MA and with urban
- Coaching skills - being able to help develop leaders and members. Build
Relationships with leaders, members and other organizations.
- Regularly travel across the state to build chapters and recruit members
and occasionally attend national meetings.
- Ability to facilitate and propose new strategies that makes sense with
SIM overall strategic vision.
- Train members in basic organizing skills (i.e. power analysis,
political strategy, etc.) and provide facilitation to develop leaders.
- Participate in larger coalition work, attending meetings, following up
on tasks, and reporting back to the rest of the staff.
- Work with staff to develop structure of organization, and to manage
staff during the six month organization-wide process of defining the SIM
- Responsible for calling weekly staff meeting.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Experience in management.
- 5 Years experience working in higher education and/or organizing,
preferably with immigrant, urban youth, paid or unpaid.
- Preference to Bilingual speakers, especially Portuguese and/or Spanish.
- Experience with leading campaigns.
- Open to flexible schedule (working weekends and nights are possible).
- Ability to drive preferred.
- Ability to use internet, Microsoft Word. Ability to work as part of a
- Ability to be organized, motivated, positive, inspirational,
relational, sensitive to others and encouraging.
- Professional and punctual.
- Good verbal and written communications skills.
This is a 35-40 hour a week position. Yearly salary starting at $35,000 and
negotiable based on experience. The lead organizer position is an employee
of Neighbor to Neighbor. The Student Immigrant Movement of Massachusetts is
a fiscally sponsored project of Neighbor to Neighbor
Massachusetts Education Fund.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume by March
1st, 2011 to jobs at simforus.com
For any questions, please contact Isabel Vargas at 978-237-1086 or
ivargas at simforus.com
Lai Wa Wu
"The master's tools will never dismantle the master's house"- Audre Lorde
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Act-MA