[act-ma] (04/01 Friday) "AT THE RIVER I STAND" - Boston film showing honoring Dr. King

S Rodrigues sr95mail at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 12:24:32 PDT 2011

Film showing honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
"AT THE RIVER I STAND"

    Friday, April 1 at 7pm
    33 Harrison Ave., 5th floor
    Orange and Silver lines to Chinatown
    (small donations welcome, no one turned away for lack of funds)

April 4 marks the 43rd anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther
King Jr. Join us for a film showing and discussion of the life of Dr. King and
the struggle for civil rights. Get involved in the movement against war and
racism--Find out how you can volunteer!

In 1968, Memphis's 1300 sanitation workers formed the lowest caste of a deeply
racist society, earning so little they qualified for welfare. In the film, At
the River I Stand, retired workers recall the threats they faced as they took on
the entire white power structure when they struck for higher wages and union
recognition.

But local civil rights leaders and the Black community soon realized the strike
was a struggle for economic justice for all African Americans. Stirring
historical footage shows the community mobilizing behind the strikers,
organizing mass demonstrations and an Easter boycott of downtown businesses. One
day a placard appeared on the picket lines which in its radical simplicity
summed up the meaning of the strike: "I am a man."

In March, Martin Luther King Jr. came to Memphis as part of his "Poor People's
Campaign" to expand the civil rights agenda to the economy. The film recreates
the controversies between King's advisors, local leaders, and younger militants
which led to open conflict. King felt obliged to return to Memphis to complete a
nonviolent march despite the by-now feverish racial tensions. The film
recaptures the driving sense of foreboding as King delivered his speech "I have
been to the mountaintop," which would be his final address. The next day, April
4. 1968, he was assassinated. 56 minutes, 1993.

Small donations welcome at the door. No one turned away for lack of funds.

SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE FILM SHOWING!

    Forward this announcement via email:
    http://www2.answercoalition.org/site/R?i=uWeaY-lQXLu_GfpIaaLU1w..

    Share on Facebook: