[act-ma] Apr 9th Escalates: Global Day of Action, stand w. Iraqi civil society, fight climate change not wars

Maggie Zhou mzhou_us at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 07:37:49 PDT 2011

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Maggie Zhou <mzhou_us at yahoo.com>
To: cjn at lists.riseup.net; climate09-int at lists.riseup.net;
no-offsets at googlegroups.com
Sent: Thu, April 7, 2011 10:33:30 AM
Subject: Apr 9th Escalates: Global Day of Action, stand w. Iraqi civil society,
fight climate change not wars

Major exciting development: Iraqi civil society escalates protests, now calling
for open-ended sit-ins in front of US military bases until they leave their
country (see message below).

April 9th is now the global day of action marking the beginning of this sit-in,
echoing the mass bi-coastal antiwar protests in the US (April 9: New York City;
April 10: San Francisco), endorsed by major labor unions, civil rights
organizations, immigrant and Muslim rights organizations, environmental groups,
and of course, antiwar groups.

If your organization has not yet endorsed the April 9/10 actions, it is not too
late to send it in here: http://nationalpeaceconference.org/Page_2.html
(Pls indicate country of your organization, or 'International' if not limited to
one country).

If you are in the US, pls try and join one of the
protests: http://nationalpeaceconference.org/

... and/or the non-violent direct action on April 8 (Friday) in Washington DC at
the Pentagon, organized by the National Campaign for Non-violent Resistance, in
solidarity with the April 9/10 protests: http://www.warresisters.org/node/1124

For info on the link b/w climate and militarism/wars, here is a 3-page fact
sheet:
http://www.climatesos.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Military_Climate_factsheet-Nov23_2010.pdf

The US alone spends over $1 trillion a year on military and wars, while the
planet burns and social services vanish across continents.

Maggie Zhou
Climate SOS

Begin forwarded message: