[act-ma] Fwd: Tim Wise Speaks in Boston - April 20th

Myrna Morales myrna.e.morales at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:15:24 PDT 2011

Begin forwarded message:

> Subject: Tim Wise Speaks in Boston -  April 20th
>
> Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
>

> They Want Their Country Back:
> Racism and the Politics of White Resentment
>
> with TIM WISE
>
> APRIL 20, 2011 - 6:00 PM
> FIRST CHURCH IN BOSTON
> 66 Marlborough Street
>
> $20 suggested contribution
> (more if you can, less if you can't)
>

> ALL PROCEEDS TO BENEFIT COMMUNITY CHANGE, INC.
>

> CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS
>
> This presentation will explore the rising tide of white anxiety
> since the election of President Obama, and explore the roots of
> white racial resentment, currently being stoked by the Tea Party,
> among others. In this speech, Wise discusses the use of nostalgia
> and historical revisionism as key elements of the right-wing white
> political narrative, and the importance of pushing back against it:
> something which, sadly, most liberals have been reluctant to do.
> Importantly, Wise examines the reasons why the "post-racial
> liberalism," which downplays racial division and tends to skirt the
> issue of the right's use of racial imagery, is doomed to fail. Only
> by confronting racism directly, as individuals and in the larger
> society, can we hope to defeat the politics of white resentment.
>

> Register Now!
> I can't make it but would like to contribute
>

> Please forward this announcement widely
>
> For more information:
> pmarcus at communityinc.org or 617-523-0555
>
> Click Here for Directions
>

> Forward email
>
> This email was sent to myrna at communitychangeinc.org by pmarcus at communitychangeinc.org
> Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™
> | Privacy Policy.
> Community Change Inc. | 14 Beacon Street Suite 605 | Boston | MA |
> 02108

Myrna Morales
Social Media Coordinator
myrna at communitychangeinc.org
(t) (617) 523 - 0555
(w) http://www.communitychangeinc.org/Drupal
twitter: @cciboston
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Community-Change-Inc/87915238074?ref=ts
  ("like us" to get a stream of great information on your facebook
newsfeed)
meetups: http://www.meetup.com/Bostons-My-Knapsack-Is-Not-Invisible-Group/

"My alma mater was books, a good library.... I could spend the rest of
my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity."  - Malcolm X