[act-ma] Sunday May 15, Peak Oil: Are We Ready? Featuring Richard Heinberg at the JP Forum

Liz Wambui lizw at ips-dc.org
Thu May 12 08:44:29 PDT 2011

Join us at the JP Forum for---

Richard Heinberg - The End of Growth: Peak Oil and the Economy of the Future

When: Sunday, May 15 at 3:00 PM
Where: First Church in Jamaica Plain, UU, 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Speaker: Richard Heinberg

We all take economic growth for granted – until it falters, as in 2008. But what if the recent economic meltdown was not just an interruption in the story of continuous economic expansion, but the first sign of the end of growth as we know it?

Will the convergence of financial instability, the end of cheap oil, and climate change usher in an era of contraction? In other words, do we have to adapt to a “new normal”?

Traditional economic growth is not the best measure of human health and welfare. How might we pursue improvements in education, the arts, health, well-being, freedom, and happiness without depending upon ever-expanding consumption?  What does a transition to a new economy look like that doesn’t depend on a model of growth based on cheap energy, reckless consumption and financial speculation?

About Richard Heinberg:

Richard Heinberg is a Senior Fellow of the Post Carbon Institute and is widely regarded as one of the world’s foremost Peak Oil educators.  He is the author of ten books including: The Post Carbon Reader (2010) (editor), Blackout: Coal, Climate, and the Last Energy Crisis (2009), Peak Everything: Waking Up to the Century of Declines (2007), The Oil Depletion Protocol: A Plan to Avert Oil Wars, and Powerdown: Options & Actions for a Post-Carbon World (2004)

Upcoming Programs--

Rising Cost of Food and Fuel: Are We Ready?

(Note: This event will take place on two different JP venues)

When: Thursday May 19 at 7:00 PM
Where: Egleston Community High School, 3134 Washington Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02119

and

When: Thursday May 26 at 7:00 PM
Where: First Church in Jamaica Plain UU, 6 Eliot St. Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

$6.50 a gallon for gas? How will that impact you? How will it impact our community? What can we do about it? Whole Foods pricing isn’t the only thing making healthy food expensive these days. Globally analysts are concerned that food prices will continue to rise for years to come. What can we do to prepare?

There are many factors driving the increase in the cost of food and fuel, and most of them are expected to continue and worsen in the coming decades. Working together there is a lot we can do to strengthen community resilience in the face of potential economic and ecological shocks to the system — it is time to share our ideas for action.

Come join the conversation with your neighbors. Let’s get to know each other and how these deepening challenges impact all of us, and let’s brainstorm actions we can take today to be more resilient tomorrow.

A community conversation hosted by JP New Economy Transition

For more information, please visit www.jamaicaplainforum.org

Elizabeth Wambui
Institute for Policy Studies-Northeast Office
Office Manager and Jamaica Plain Forum Coordinator
E-Mail: LizW at Ips-dc.org
Program on Inequality and Common Good
www.extremeinequality.org
www.jamaicaplainforum.org