[act-ma] 5/13 & 14 [Tonight & Tomorrow] American Uprising Author (Friday); Peña w/Sergio Reyes, Simon Rios & Co. (Saturday @ e5)

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Fri May 13 03:28:53 PDT 2011

encuentro 5 is proud to host 2 important events this Friday & Saturday. On
Friday, May 13, 2011, we will be hosting author Dan Rasmussen who has
recovered the suppressed history of the US's largest slave uprising. On
Saturday, May 14, 2011, Sergio Reyes, Mea Johnson, Simon Rios and friends
will return to encuentro 5 with a Peña combining music and rebellion!

Also, on Sunday, our friends in the IWW are hosting George Mann at e5 (
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195525403818705) and on Monday,
Phyllis Bennis, recently returned from Egypt, will be speaking in Cambridge
(http://justicewithpeace.org/new-hopes-new-dangers). On Saturday, May 21,
2011, MGA is co-sponsoring "Bringing the War Dollars Home!" It is a public
conversation at the Boston Public Library about ending the wars and funding
our communities (1:00 - 3:00 p.m. separate announcement to follow).  On the
same day, we will be hosting the Boston Media Reform Network at e5...

Here are the details:

1.

5/13 "The Untold Story of America's Largest Slave Revolt" with Author
Dan Rasmussen (Friday evening, 7:00 p.m. @ e5)

As the US again discovers its rebellious side, we are proud to host
author Dan Rasmussen speaking to his New York Times bestselling book:
American Uprising: The Untold Story of America's Largest Slave Revolt.
This evening of reflection on an uprising, its suppression and
disappearance from history brings together many themes that connect
with still unresolved challenges of an unfinished American history.
Dan will be joined by social change activists invited from the e5
community. After a presentation by Dan and a pair of discussants, the
audience will be encouraged to join in the conversation. The event
closes with a wine-and-cheese style reception. The event is free and
all members of the progressive community are encouraged to attend.
More details to follow. Copies of American Uprising will be on sale at
the event.

2.

Peña Musical: Green Chile and Songs of Love and Protest
When: Saturday, May 14th @ 7pm--11
Where: Encuentro 5, 33 Harrison in Chinatown

It's Peña time again, the great Latin American tradition of music &
rebellion, with your friends Sergio Reyes, Mea Johnson, Rafael Medina,
and Simon Rios will host the
singer/poet circle. Manuel Santos and Julian Carabajal will also be
present, as well as other special guests.

Bring your songs, bring your verse, in whatever language on whatever
instrument.

The Peña is a tradition dating back to the times of revolution in
Latin America and continuing through those of today. Over the 5 years
of our community space, it has become a tradition at 33 Harrison to
accompany our events with live music and ample nylon-string guitars.

The Peña will be a benefit for a fundraiser for an event we are hoping
to host this summer. A suggested donation of $10/5 is requested, in
addition to food which will be on sale.

Please contact Simón (elektrodread at gmail.com)with any questions,
especially to participate as a performer.
Please visit our website for directions to get to 33 Harrison in Chinatown.