[act-ma] Wed- Step Performance @ Mass Hope 2011/State House 4:30pm (6/22)

Lily Huang lily.yimche.huang at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 07:57:00 PDT 2011

Come join us for a youth step performance @ Mass Hope 2011 Vigil at the
steps of the State House at 4:30pm!

Last week, people concerned about immigrant rights won a big victory when
Governor Patrick said No to Secure Communities, a program which has unfairly
deported large numbers of immigrants. But hostile Senators have attached
anti-immigrant, anti-worker, and anti-family amendments to the Senate
version of the state budget. The budget is now in conference and we must let
the chairs of that committee know that these outrageous amendments are
unacceptable.
The amendments would:

   - Mandate that the Attorney General continue to receive *complaints about
   employment of undocumented workers *and refer to ICE.
   - Establish an anonymous hotline to report undocumented workers to the
   Attorney General's Office
   - Require beneficiaries of all state medical benefits, including
   emergency Medicaid, to prove lawful residency
   - Increase penalties for driving without a license
   - Require proof of legal residency for all family members residing in
   public housing

We won't stand for this! Immigrants are a vital part of our state's economy
and society. Rather than criminalizing immigrants and creating barriers to
access, we need the state to create jobs and increase resources for all its
residents. *We are starting our 24/7 vigil on the steps of the statehouse
this MONDAY JUNE 20th at 8AM until these amendments are removed from the
budget. *
www.masshope2011.wordpress.com
www.simforus.com

Please contact: Lily Huang lily.yimche.huang at gmail.com