[act-ma] Conference on the Constitutional Convention

Susan Serpa neimpeach at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 20:00:55 PDT 2011

Conference on the Constitutional Convention·  Harvard Law School, September
24–25, 2011  ·Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 9:00 AM - Sunday, September
25, 2011 at 12:00 PM

A project of Fix Congress First <http://www.fixcongressfirst.org/>, the Tea
Party Patriots <http://www.teapartypatriots.org/>, and Harvard Law
School<http://www.law.harvard.edu/>
--

Democracy in America is stalled.

>From the Right and the Left, citizens are increasingly coming to recognize
that our Republic does not work as our Framers intended. Reform of any kind
is stalled by a status quo that profits from blocking change. No side in the
political debate benefits from this inertia.

The Framers created a method for escaping from captured government—an
Article V Constitutional Convention. If two-thirds of the states pass
resolutions calling for a convention, then all sides will have the
opportunity to argue for the changes they believe will restore our Republic.
Any amendment proposed must then be ratified by three fourths of the states
to become law.

On September 24th, people from across America and across the political
spectrum will convene at Harvard University to discuss the advisability and
feasibility of organizing towards a Constitutional Convention. The
conference's lead organizers are both proponents and opponents of an Article
V convention and we actively encourage the participation of those who
support a convention and those who oppose holding a convention at all.

*This is a closed conference and registration is required for all attendees.
To register, please click here <http://conconcon.eventbrite.com/>.*

Lawrence Lessig and Mark Meckler will co-chair the conference. Lawrence
Lessig is the director of the Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics at Harvard
University and the Roy L. Furman Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He
co-founded Change Congress, which aims to reduce the influence of private
money in American politics. For more, see "How to sober up
Washington"<http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/2010/04/12_lessig.html>—an
essay by Lessig and Mark McKinnon on corruption in Washington, voters'
disillusionment, and the need for an Article V convention. Mark Meckler is
the Co-Founder and a National Coordinator for Tea Party Patriots (along with
his Co-Founder and fellow National Coordinator, Jenny Beth Martin), the
largest grassroots tea party organization in the nation with over 3,500
chapters spanning every state.

We're looking for volunteers! Volunteers get free admission and a chance to
get more involved. For details, please click
here<http://conconcon.org/volunteer.php>
.
[Post submitted by Susan Serpa]