[act-ma] SoJust: 10/3 Excel Skillshare, 10/22 Poker, 10/25 Faculty & Staff Happy Hour, 11/7 Communication Skillshare, 11/22 RESIST Party

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:34:43 PDT 2011

Hi fellow activists and organizers,

Socializing for Justice hit 1800 members and 5 years, but we're not slowing
down! There are a lot of great events coming up this fall - plus we've
officially launched the *Progressive Voter Index* (
www.progressivevoterindex.com). We're amplifying political endorsements made
by 10 progressive entities. If a candidate receives 6 or more endorsements,
we'll meta-endorse them by encouraging SoJusters to show support as a
volunteer or donor.

***Community announcement***
*PROGRESSIVE MASSACHUSETTS KICK-OFF
Sunday, October 2 from 2-6PM at LaSalle College in Newton**
*Progressive Massachusetts is hosting their first organizing meeting and I
hope several SoJusters can attend. **Progressive Mass.'s goal is to make
sure good organizing is *unified *and *sustained*, so that local efforts
don't happen in isolation, and that inspiring statewide efforts don't fade
away when the issue or election campaign is over. They plan to build on the
tremendous strengths of our vibrant activist community and work together to
make a strong progressive infrastructure in Massachusetts.
*RSVP: *http://progressivemass.eventbrite.com/

***SoJust project announcement***
*HAPPY HOUR FOR PROGRESSIVE FACULTY AND STAFF*
*Tuesday, October 25 from 6-8PM at Lir on Boylston (by Hynes Convention
Center T)*
Are you a progressive working on campus? Join Campus2Community for happy
hour to meet other campus progressives! C2C network is an inclusive
multi-issue network of progressive faculty and staff in the Greater Boston
area. C2C network is a project of Socializing for Justice. Help build this
network by becoming a member at www.C2Cnet.org <http://www.c2cnet.org/>.
*RSVP: *http://www.c2cnet.org/events/31323222/ $2 SoJust donation

***SoJust hosts monthly skillshares to increase individual capacity for
movement building***
*Skillshare: INTERMEDIATE EXCEL TIPS & TRICKS *by Reed Miller
*Monday, October 3 from 6-8:30PM at The NonProfit Center (by South Station
T)*
There are so many ways that spreadsheets can help organize & analyze our
lives and organizations, whether its managing your co-op's budget or
graphing the growth in your group's membership! *Please bring a computer, or
you can look on and take notes.* Some topics that we'll go over: Efficient
Data Entry & Data Importing, Sorting Data, Using Basic & Fancy Formulas,
Making Charts, Manipulating Text, Mail Merge!
*RSVP:* http://www.sojust.org/events/32970952/ $10-$20 sliding scale

*Skillshare: CONSTRUCTIVE COMMUNICATION - DEALING WITH CONFLICT* by Sandy
Anderson and Libby Mahaffy
*Monday, November 7 from 6-8:30PM at The NonProfit Center (by South Station
T)*
Enhance your negotiation skills using approaches that support collaborative
problem solving and facilitate “win-win” results. This session will
introduce some constructive communication techniques that can move
negotiations forward positively, including Non-Violent Communication
andmediation. Negotiations are a part of life - why not make them more
successful for everyone involved?
*RSVP:* http://www.sojust.org/events/34899092/ $10-$20 sliding scale

***SoJust hosts monthly socials to create the possibility of cross-issue
connections***
*LIBERATION POKER FOR JUSTICE*
*Saturday, October 22 from 6:30-10:30PM at Encuentro 5 (by Chinatown T)*
We've teamed up with the Liberation Poker League to bring you a night of
meeting like-minded progressives, raising cash for liberation, and poker
action! Ante up for the revolution and fund local causes fighting against
oppression. Not ready for the Pro Tournament? Come at 6:30pm for an
intro-tutorial and then enter the Beginner’s Tournament! Win either
tournament and the pot goes to your cause. This is a potluck event - please
bring something to share.
*RSVP: *http://www.sojust.org/events/33175212/ $12 ($10 buy-in + $2 SoJust
donation)

*SOCIALIZING FOR JUSTICE: RESIST FOUNDATION*
*Wednesday, November 16 from 6:00-8:30PM at Lir on Boylston (by Hynes
Convention Center T)**
SoJust is throwing a party for RESIST Foundation!** *RESIST has been funding
social change since 1967. Each year RESIST funds over 100 amazing grassroots
organizations around the country. These groups use grants from RESIST to
develop leadership, work on innovative grassroots campaigns, hire
organizers, distribute literature and videos related to those campaigns and
demand justice on a variety of issues. Most of their grantees reach across
issues to connect communities and struggles. Their work spans
anti-militarism, prisoners' rights, community organizing, GLBTQ justice,
environmental justice, antiracism, disability rights, youth organizing,
Native Peoples' rights and more. Since 1967, RESIST has awarded grants to
thousands of radical and progressive groups engaged in organizing for social
change. Learn more at: www.resistinc.org.

*What should you expect?* Our usual friendly and welcoming space where it's
easy to meet people even if it's your first SoJust event. Plenty of
socializing time to mix, mingle and network with fellow progressives. The
opportunity to learn more about RESIST and how you can support their efforts
with a donation. (*Consider becoming a monthly donor!* Your gift of $25 a
month = $300 a year. Just think, you can "buy a round for justice" each
month and help fund the movement!) Gifts of all sizes welcomed.

Want to cross-promote your events and campaigns? Looking for like-minded
progressives to hang out with in Boston? Are you new to the area and looking
for groups to get involved in? Psyched about building strong cross-issue
coalitions? Join us! *
RSVP: *http://www.sojust.org/events/34904272 $5 SoJust donation

For Justice,
Robbie

Robbie Samuels
Socializing for Justice (SoJust)
Co-Founder & Co-Organizer
robbie at sojust.org

*SOCIALIZING FOR JUSTICE - www.sojust.org*
SoJust is all about building a cross-issue progressive community, network
and movement in Boston. We're doing it by putting the SOCIAL back in SOCIAL
JUSTICE. We focus on creating welcoming spaces that foster
relationship-building across issue silos. Join us if you are ready to go
BEYOND ALLIES and build a CROSS-ISSUE PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT.

*SoJust isn't a non-profit 501(c)(3).* We're a grassroots volunteer-run
member-supported cross-issue progressive community that's been growing
steadily since August 2006. We have 1800+ members, hosted 100+ events and
manage an online hub of progressive events and resources at www.sojust.org.
If you've benefited from this cross-issue progressive network, please
contribute the suggested annual membership fee of $25. You may do this
online <http://www.sojust.org/dues/> or at any of our events. Thank you for
helping us continue to provide a space for like-minded progressives of all
stripes.

*Want to know more about SoJust?* Check out our Frequently Asked
Questions<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>and
past
event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!