[act-ma] Join Ciclovida Delegation to Brazil this Jan!

Matt Feinstein matt at ciclovida.org
Wed Nov 2 13:41:42 PDT 2011

Click to view this email in a browser

Seeds of Change Newsletter
November 2011

Join the Ciclovida US Delegation to Brazil this January!

The Ciclovida team is planning a US delegation to Brazil to strengthen our international solidarity! Ivania and Inacio joined us here in the US this spring, now Ciclovida organizers and supporters from the US are going to their community to learn together! Sign up here and read on if you are interested in joining  the delegation:

Brazil Delegation: Deep Sustainability with Ciclovida: Lifecycle
Dates: January 9 - 20, 2012
Where: Northeast Brazil, State of Ceará (in and around the City of Fortaleza)

Who: Ciclovida: an International Group of Activists, Landless Farmers and Filmmakers along with Hudson Valley Natural Building and New Frameworks.

What: Experience sustainability and permaculture in the deepest sense: a new relationship with the land.  Trip will include full trainings on NATURAL BUILDING, FOREST GARDENS, and SMALL WINDMILL CONSTRUCTION.  The trip will also include visits to:
Landless Workers Movements
Communities resisting displacement due to infrastructure projects for the World Cup coming to Brazil in 2014, and
Indigenous communities working for self-determination.

There will also be PORTUGUESE LANGUAGE EXCHANGE CLASSES and interpretation services provided for English speaking participants.

Cost: $900 includes lodging, local travel, 2-3 meals/day, trainings, classes, interpretation, and all other logistical aspects of a delegation. This cost does not include plane fare or passport/visa fees.  Sliding scale options are available, contact us for more information. If interested in possibly joining the delegation, fill out the interest form here:  http://bit.ly/szAGFb

The Natural Building portion of the delegation is a 6-day intensive training for those interested in developing a thorough understanding of natural building systems and their materials. We will be building a small community building. The project will offer the opportunity to work with multiple natural building techniques using locally available resources, including adobe, cob, natural plasters and paints, and whatever else we can find locally. Participants will gain a comprehensive understanding of how natural materials work, and leave empowered to apply them to a range of different building practices and projects.

If you are interested in joining the delegation, please fill out the online interest form. All are encouraged to sign up!
More info on the visits:
For the first half of the delegation we will be traveling around the state of Ceará with a group from the Ciclovida community, including their youth theater group “Caricultura”.  Here is more info on some of the communities we’ll visit.

1. Fortaleza (pop 3.3 million) is one of the 12 host cities for the 2014 FIFA World Cup and is receiving over US$5 billion for infrastructure projects, which is being used to carry out social cleansing of poor communities.  But these communities are not going away quietly, in fact, they are resisting with powerful social movements in collaboration with the anarchist group Organização Resistência LIbertária, who is a big Ciclovida supporter (in fact, we did a short documentary together on this Right to the City movement, watch it here).

2. Just outside of Fortaleza there is an indigenous community, Jeripapo-Kanindé, that just won their demarcation of their land but still struggles to keep large sugar-cane companies away from their lake - a beautiful blue lagoon surrounded by dunes and a short walk to the beach.  This community is one of several in the region that are working to maintain cultural knowledge with community indigenous museums and traditional pow-wows. They have sustainable-visitors project / guest house and it will be a good place for us to get to build community, relax and be inspired by powerful resistance. This community was featured in the Ciclovida companion documentary “Agrofuels: Industrial Agriculture’s Attack on People and the Planet” and a one-minute clip is available online HERE.

3. The second half of the delegation will take place at the Ciclovida community (named Assentamento Barra do Lemme) in Pentecoste, Ceará.  This land was occupied by the workers and is one of the few worker-occupied farms in the whole northeast region that is working to do ecological projects.  Their project is based in a search for a New Relationship with the Land.  This is where the Natural Building, Forest Gardens, Small Windmill, and Bike Generator workshops, amongst others will be taking place.
Ways to Support the Delegation:

Forward this email:
We are currently looking for more delegates so please forward this email to anyone you think may be interested!

Donations:
Please check out our website to make an online donation at::
www.ciclovida.org/en/donate. You can also send donations by mail made out to Worcester Earn-a-Bike with "Ciclovida" in the memo, and mail to:
Worcester Earn-A-Bike
34 Cambridge St
Worcester 01603, USA

Ciclovida Merch:
Check out the Ciclovida Merch available for order on our website at www.ciclovida.org! We've got:
T-shirts: $15 donation
DVDs: $10-$20 donation
All funds raised go towards supporting the Ciclovida project, and of course it helps us get the word out when you wear your t-shirt or share the movie with others!

Join the Fundraising Team:
The fundraising team will work on organizing Ciclovida fundraising events this December in Worcester, Boston, New York, and Providence! If you have connections to a great venue, experience event planning or fundraising, or just want to find some simple ways to show your support, join this team! Please email Ashley (ashley at ciclovida.org) if you are interested.

Attend a Fundraising Event this Dec:
We will be organizing events for Boston, Worcester, Providence, and New York. Stay tuned for more details by following us on Twitter or Liking us on Facebook!

An award-winning film!

Upcoming Events:

~November 9: 6pm in Sullivan Building Eager Auditorium at 6pm, Worcester State University, Worcester, MA

~Ciclovida is Official Selection in the Boston Latino International Film Festival, come join us Sunday, Nov. 20th at 3:30pm at Harvard Univ. details: HERE

For more details on times and locations, go to: http://ciclovida.org/tourschedule

www.ciclovida.org
Tel: 774 460 1274
Email: info at ciclovida.org

Click here to forward this email to a friend

Matt Feinstein
Ciclovida: Lifecycle
http://Ciclovida.org

(508) 335-7783