[act-ma] 11/16 RESIST party; 12/5 Public Speaking; 2012 SoJust Visioning...

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 08:18:45 PST 2011

Hey fellow activists and organizers,

We hope to see you at the last 2 Socializing for Justice events of 2011
before you get lost in the holidaze. We'll be hosting our annual SoJust
Visioning in January - if you're one of the SoJust STARZ (regulars) you'll
be invited, if you're a community leader we'd love you to join us - email
me for details. We're planning great events for 2012, so be sure to
encourage your friends to get connected at www.sojust.org.
*
Election update:* All of the incumbents we meta-endorsed based on
their Progressive
Voter Index <http://www.progressivevoterindex.com/> rating were
re-elected! Tito
Jackson <http://www.titojacksonforboston.com/> had a landslide victory in
Boston's District 7. Ayanna Pressley <http://www.ayannapressley.com/> & Felix
G. Arroyo <http://www.felixarroyo.com/> received the most votes out of a
crowded field for Boston City Councilor At-Large. In Felix' words, "This is
OUR Boston now."

*SOCIALIZING FOR JUSTICE: RESIST FOUNDATION*
*Wednesday, November 16 from 6:00-8:30PM at Lir on Boylston (by Hynes
Convention Center T)**
SoJust is throwing a party for RESIST Foundation!** *RESIST has been
funding social change since 1967. Each year RESIST funds over 100 amazing
grassroots organizations around the country. Most of their grantees reach
across issues to connect communities and struggles. Their work spans
anti-militarism, prisoners' rights, community organizing, GLBTQ justice,
environmental justice, antiracism, disability rights, youth organizing,
Native Peoples' rights and more. Since 1967, RESIST has awarded grants to
thousands of radical and progressive groups engaged in organizing for
social change. *
RSVP: *http://www.sojust.org/events/34904272 $5 SoJust donation at the door
*(waived with code word "Occupy")* + ask for RESIST

*Skillshare: Public Speaking* by Dave Rini
*Monday, December 5 from 6-8:30PM at The NonProfit Center (by South Station
T)*
Introductory public speaking training focuses on building the basic
technical skills necessary to clearly transmit information from the speaker
to an audience. Specific skills include word choice, eye contact, volume,
vocalized pauses, and body language.  Using a small-group format for
practical training followed by a discussion debrief from each exercise, the
training is designed to allow all participants the opportunity to practice
their speaking in an environment that is supportive, attentive, and can
provide useful feedback.
*RSVP:* http://www.sojust.org/events/37997042/ $10-$20 sliding scale

* MESSAGE BOARD HIGHLIGHTS:

**EVENTS*
11/29: 2011 Community Change, Inc. Leadership
Awards<http://www.sojust.org/events/37278252/>

11/29: Progressive Mass. Meeting - "Defeat Scott Brown"
 <http://www.sojust.org/events/40720692/>11/30: Be The Media
Conference<http://www.sojust.org/events/40932102/>**SoJust
Co-Sponsor**

*TAKE ACTION*
11/15: The Time is Now: Help Pass the Transgender Equal Rights
Bill<http://www.sojust.org/events/41244472/>
! *Please take a moment NOW* to contact your state
lawmakers<http://www.masstpc.org/legislation/callinghelp.shtml>to ask
them to vote "YES." Opponents of the bill have been swamping the
inboxes of lawmakers. It is critical that lawmakers hear from bill
supporters!  <http://www.masstpc.org/legislation/callinghelp.shtml>
11/17: March in Boston - "Jobs not
cuts"<http://www.sojust.org/messages/boards/thread/17771172>in support
of Occupy Boston

*VOLUNTEER*
11/20: Bisexual Resource Center Fundraising
Mailing<http://www.sojust.org/events/37859402/?action=detail&eventId=37859402>

Find lots more and post yourself: www.sojust.org/boards (posting
instructions: www.bit.ly/post2SoJust; other calendars to post to:
www.bit.ly/BostonCalendars)

For Justice,
Robbie

Robbie Samuels
Socializing for Justice (SoJust)
Co-Founder & Co-Organizer
robbie at sojust.org

______________________________

*SOCIALIZING FOR JUSTICE - www.sojust.org*
SoJust is all about building a cross-issue progressive community, network
and movement in Boston. We're doing it by putting the SOCIAL back in SOCIAL
JUSTICE. We focus on creating welcoming spaces that foster
relationship-building across issue silos. Join us if you are ready to go
BEYOND ALLIES and build a CROSS-ISSUE PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT.

*SoJust isn't a non-profit 501(c)(3).* We're a grassroots volunteer-run
member-supported cross-issue progressive community that's been growing
steadily since August 2006. We have 1800+ members, hosted 100+ events and
manage an online hub of progressive events and resources at www.sojust.org.
If you've benefited from this cross-issue progressive network, please
contribute the suggested annual membership fee of $25. You may do this
online <http://www.sojust.org/dues/> or at any of our events. Thank you for
helping us continue to provide a space for like-minded progressives of all
stripes.

*Want to know more about SoJust?* Check out our Frequently Asked
Questions<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>and
past
event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!