[act-ma] [UJP] Jobs Not Cuts! March Thursday

United for Justice with Peace info at justicewithpeace.org
Tue Nov 15 18:59:27 PST 2011

UJP: Jobs Not Cuts! March Thursday

JOBS NOT CUTS! MARCH THURSDAY

Our bridges and roads need work, and so do we.

Millions of people are unemployed across the country, but instead of working to
create jobs and help working families, our politicians in Washington are trying
to cut programs for our seniors and children to protect tax breaks for the ultra
wealthy.

Enough is enough. On November 17, we will be taking to the streets to make our
voices heard.

Will you join us?

Thursday, November 17, 4pm

Dewey Square - across from South Station, Boston

Click HERE to say you’ll be there! [1]

Sponsored by MassUniting [2]

  * The 99% are in the midst of an economic disaster

      * The Charlestown Bridge Needs work and so do we

      * We need jobs, not cuts – and we need to make Wall Street Pay!

Overview

November 17th is a national day of action for jobs and the middle class.  In
cities across the country the 99% will be on the march as community and labor
allies come together to rally for jobs, not cuts.  The marches will focus on
structurally unsound bridges as symbols of our country’s crumbling
infrastructure - and the jobs that would result if we fixed them.  These bridges
need work and so do we!

In Boston, the march has been called by community and labor allies including
Jobs with Justice, MassUniting, the Mass Building Trades and the AFL-CIO.  We're
 marching to highlight the need for action on jobs and to stand in solidarity
with the Occupy Movement.

MESSAGE FOR NOV 17

·         The 99% are in the midst of an economic disaster. It’s been three
years since Wall Street wrecked our economy, yet 25 million people are still
unable to find full-time work. The American Dream has been destroyed, and the
egregious wealth gap between the 1% and the 99% continues to grow.  What’s
worse, many in Congress are doing everything they can to ensure it stays that
way.

·         The Charlestown Bridge needs work and so do we. We can create
millions of jobs by repairing crumbling roads, tunnels and bridges like this
one. But instead of putting America back to work to fix our crumbling
infrastructure, Congress has refused to pass a single jobs bill. And now, the
Super Committee is calling for more job-killing budget cuts and austerity
policies.

·         We need jobs, not cuts—and we need to make Wall Street pay. We are
fed up with politicians who cater to the interests of big businesses and
billionaires. We are angry that we’ve lost our jobs and our homes while the
rich get more tax cuts and corporate profits soar. We are the 99%, and we demand
an economy that works for everyone, not just the richest 1%.

March Plan

Supporters will gather at Dewey Square at 4pm – including student marchers --
and marching at 4:30 up Atlantic Ave to the N. Washington Street bridge for a
rally and action.  The building trades members will meet us at the bridge, where
a few speakers will address the crowd there (all speakers should be unemployed
workers, we are looking to highlight the stories of both unemployed trades
workers and other kinds of workers).

Because the march will involve large numbers of union members, community
partners and allies from immigration groups, we will have a strong marshaling
presence.   At the bridge we will have a candlelight vigil and banner drop.
Since it will be dark at 5pm when we arrive at the bridge, we have the
opportunity to think about creative uses of candles, light-up projectors, etc.
A smaller contingent will be on the Charlestown side of the bridge and will
march across the bridge to meet the larger body of the march, which will remain
on the North End without going onto the bridge itself.

>From the bridge – we will march back to Dewey.

		 [3]

United for Justice with Peace [4] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The UJP
Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social and
economic justice.

             [5]

Help us continue to do this critical work!   Make a donation to UJP today. [6]

info at justicewithpeace.org [7]

            		617-383-4857

            		www.justicewithpeace.org [8]

Upcoming Events:

		March for Good Jobs [9]

		Thu Nov 17

		4:00pm

		Assemble Dewey Square - March to N Washington St Bridge

		Boston

		Occupy Boston Summit [10]

		Sat Nov 19

		2:00pm

		Quincy School

		Boston

		Take Back the Capitol [11]

		Mon Dec 5

		9:00am

		Washington, DC

		Massachusetts Peace Action Annual Meeting [12]

		Sat Jan 28

		1:00pm

		First Baptist Church

		Newton

		Retire NATO, Create Jobs & Fund Peace [13]

		Fri May 18

		9:00am

		Chicago, IL

More Peace and Justice Events [14].    How to Submit Events [15]

[1] http://action.massuniting.org/page/s/nov17
[2] http://www.massuniting.org
[3] http://justicewithpeace.org
[4] http://justicewithpeace.org