[act-ma] 01/01 Happy New Year and several quick reminders from ACT-MA

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Mon Jan 2 10:08:50 PST 2012

We anticipate an eventful year!
Below is the annual reminder about the year end turn over of our archives.

Please tell your friends about Act-MA, information is at the bottom of every email and on our websitehttp://www.act-ma.org

Check out the local list of progressive radio shows.  (click on the "Radio" tab on our main page or use the link below.)
http://www.act-ma.org/raadio.htm
and the list of other event calendars.  (click on the "Links" tab on our main page or use the link below.)
http://www.act-ma.org/links.htm
(As always please send updates or corrections.)

The year end transition always produces a little confusion about our archives.  Many people check them instead of getting emails directly.

If you click on the "current listings" tab on our web page, you will now get a choice of which years archives you want to look at.

A reminder about act-ma 2010 archives.

The current version of act-ma archives emails by the year, so anything
sent last year will be in the archive below even if it is an event in 2011.

http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2011/subject.html<http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2011/subject.html  <http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2008/subject.html%3Chttp://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2010/subject.html>>

The new archive for emails sent this year is

http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2012/subject.html<http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2012/subject.html  <http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2009/subject.html%3Chttp://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2011/subject.html>>

You may want to resend any for 2012 so it will be archived in the new
location for 2012.

The act-ma website will have links to both. If you go to

http://www.act-ma.org<http://www.act-ma.org/  <http://www.act-ma.org%3Chttp://www.act-ma.org/>>   and click on Archives in
the top row, it has links to both 2012, 2011 and the previous act-ma archive
on the Topica system, which go back to 2000.

We would like to make a special plea to act-ma posters to adhere to our month date format.
If you don't use it there is a good chance that people going to our site will miss your announcement.

Take a look at the 2008 archives.
http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2008/subject.html<http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2007/subject.html  <http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2008/subject.html%3Chttp://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2007/subject.html>>

Notice that most of the events for Jan are grouped together.

1/08 Event 1
1/10 Event 2
1/19 Event 3

Then notice that if you search you can find an event...
IWW Solidarity Benefit Sat. Jan 19 6pm<http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2008/000830.html>
but if you were just looking in the "January section" you would miss it.

Suggested Subject Line Format
m/dd (a good description of the event)

where m is the digit(s) for the month and dd are the digits for the day,
your event will get sorted in chronological order by day. This makes it
a lot easier to find out what's going on today or tomorrow or on any
given day. It's good the use the format 1/07 instead of 1/7 so that an
event with a one digit date gets sorted to the beginning of the month
instead of the end.

Several local radio show use act-ma to keep track of their event
announcements, so you make it much more likely that your event will also
get announced on the radio if you use this format.

Seehttp://www.act-ma.org/raadio.htm  information about those shows.

Seehttp://www.act-ma.org/post.htm  for more tips about the subject line
which is the most important part of any announcement.