[act-ma] Rally for Tarek Mehanna: Sat. Jan. 21st @ Boston Common!

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Sat Jan 14 12:56:11 PST 2012

-------- Original Message --------

*Stand in Solidarity with Tarek Mehanna*
*Rally to express your outrage at the unjust guilty verdict!
*When: Saturday January 21st, 2012 from 2-3:30pm.*
*Where: The Gazebo on the Boston Common near Park Street *

This rally mark an important milestone in our support of Tarek and will
include:

1. Written statement from Tarek
2. The Free Tarek Campaign road map, 2012: Next Steps
3. A number of speakers
4. Petition signature collecting

The sweeping conviction in the case of the USA vs. Tarek Mehanna is an
outrage and a travesty. In spite of the legal setback of the jury's
irrational verdict, the Free Tarek Campaign entered 2012 with stronger
community support than ever before. This rally is an opportunity to come
together and declare that what happened to Tarek is NOT okay, it will never
be okay, and Muslim or non-Muslim, we will never, ever accept it!

The verdict has not dampened Tarek's resolve, nor that of his family or
supporters. Rather, the verdict was so shocking and unqualified that it has
only activated more controversy in the public spectrum, particularly among
leading scholars of Constitutional Law and First Amendment Rights, whose
Supreme Court decision, to those who flatly rejected the inexplicable jury
decision.

With the passing of the National Defense Authorization Act ("NDAA")--one of
the most notorious blatant attacks on civil liberties and constitutional
rights in recent memory--it is imperative now more than ever before to take
a stand. Though the federal government's attacks on our communities, its
use of such lawless tactics, and the countless unjust convictions is not,
and never has been, out of the ordinary, we can't be demoralized and scared
into silence. *Our oppressors can never truly win as long as we continue to
fight!*

*WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN ATTEND, YOU CAN PLAY AN ACTIVE ROLE IN SUPPORTING
TAREK BY WRITING TO HIM. LETTERS ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO TAREK.*

Tarek Mehanna
ID# 50660 Unit GSE-107
Plymouth County Correctional Facility
26 Long Pond Road