[act-ma] The Sun in Rowe, MA: Apply for a full scholarship by 3/15

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Wed Feb 15 11:46:33 PST 2012

[fwiw:  this is my all-time favorite magazine;  "/Not everyone is
prepared for the stark reality in The Sun with its often poignant
writing and haunting black and white photographs.  The whole magazine is
like an intelligent compassionate friend who perceptively articulates
your innermost thoughts and dreams/." Utne Reader awarded Safransky's
publication its Alternative Press Award, calling it "/a magazine
completely unlike any other, always personal, always meaningful, always
unexpected/."

"/Unfortunately, you're not likely to find The Sun at your regular
newsstand. Many distributors won't carry it because it's not
'commercial' enough: we don't carry advertising; and we regularly print
pieces that are too risky, too personal, too sad, too something. Yet
somehow the magazine finds its way into the right hands; readers who
appreciate writing that doesn't talk down to them or up to them, but
meets their level gaze/."  editor, Sy Safranksy

The Sun Magazine | Personal. Political. Provocative. Ad-free.
<http://www.thesunmagazine.org>

The Sun Magazine

A Weekend with /The Sun/ in Massachusetts

We invite you to join /Sun/ authors Joseph Bathanti, Krista Bremer,
Alison Luterman, and Lee Martin, along with editor and publisher Sy
Safransky, for a lively weekend of writing, conversation, and
inspiration. The gathering will be held at Rowe, a retreat center
situated on fifty acres of lush woodland in the Berkshire Mountains of
western Massachusetts.

Two full scholarships
<http://www.thesunmagazine.org/get_involved/events/19#scholarships> are
available for aspiring or established writers (application deadline
March 15); please see our website for details.

*Into the Fire: /The Sun/ Celebrates Personal Writing
<http://www.thesunmagazine.org/get_involved/events/19>
Rowe Conference Center, Rowe, Massachusetts***
*June 1--3, 2012*

A large enrollment is expected, and spaces are limited. We recommend
registering soon by contacting Rowe at (413) 339-4954, or registering
online <http://www.rowecenter.org/events.php?event=83>.

We hope you'll join us.
~

Copyright © 2012, The Sun Publishing Company, Inc.
107 North Roberson Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27516