[act-ma] The Big Queer Rock Show 3/2 event listing

Cancer Killing Gemini cancerkillinggemini at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 05:54:48 PST 2012

Hi ACT-MA,

Please consider posting about our charity event on 3/2 at TT The Bear's
Place in Central Square. Press release follows.
Here is the facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/110891305694962/

Thank you,
Eric Michael Cohen

What truly makes an experience memorable is the way that it brings
people together. And bringing people together is exactly why the Boston
Aliiance of Gay , Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth is teaming up
with, No Gay Left Behind (NGLB), Boston-area musicians Cancer Killing
Gemini, Full Body Anchor, Oilhead and Grygiel and PMW Creative Arts to
present Big Queer Rock Show. We invite you to join us as we celebrate
music and unity at TT the Bear’s in Central Square, Cambridge.

BAGLY is a youth-led, adult-supported organization that is committed to
creating, sustaining and advocating for programs, policies and services
for the LGBTQ community. Their programs include health counseling and
risk assessment and reduction and are available in a safe, peer-run
environment. Further, BAGLY connects its members to a variety of
resources that are a source of strength and support for the youth that
BAGLY helps.

Kurtlan Massarsky, BAGLY’s Director of Development says, “BAGLY is an
organization with a solid and trusted history. As the longest-running
LGBTQ youth-led organization in the nation, our social support events
(including the nation’s 1st LGBTQ youth prom), leadership development
programs and advocacy work are effective in empowering young people to
become our Movement’s next leaders. Whether we are addressing anti-gay
bullying/hate crimes or LGBTQ youth homelessness, our work is critical
and under-funded. We are thrilled that these four groups have banded
together for such an important cause. Plus, it’s just gonna rock.”

Eric Michael Cohen, lead singer of Cancer Killing Gemini knows just how
valuable BAGLY is to the youth that it serves. Says Eric, “my younger
sister came out when she was in high school. She was the only out
lesbian in a high school of maybe 1500 students. FRAGLY (The Framingham
Alliance of Gay and Lesbian Youth) gave her a community to belong to and
a support system. When I started planning this event, I was ecstatic to
learn that there were still AGLY chapters all across Massachusetts.”

Says Eric, “I believe that supporting an organization like BAGLY will
positively influence other youths dealing with issues of sexuality. To
this day, I am still proud that she had the courage to come out at such
a young age.”

Additionally, BAGLY will be joined by No Gay Left Behind (NGLB), which
aims to prevent LGBTQ suicide by advocating for the formation of Virtual
Gay-Straight Alliances (VGSA) at schools across the United States. NGLB
was co-founded by Jen Grygiel, who will be performing at Big Queer Rock
Show.

Big Queer Rock Show is happening on Friday, March 2nd, 2012 at TT The
Bear’s, located at 10 Brookline Street, Cambridge, MA 02139. Get there
by taking the Red Line to Central Square. Tickets are $10 in advance,
$12 at the door, and can be purchased at here!. All proceeds will
benefit BAGLY. Visit Big Queer Rock Show’s Facebook page at
http://bit.ly/xbs4JT and let us know that you’re coming.

--
Eric Michael Cohen
http://www.cancerkillinggemini.com