[act-ma] 1 PM Tomorrow TUES. Feb, 28th Hearing on Citizens United at the MA State House

Susan Serpa neimpeach at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:26:51 PST 2012

http://site.pfaw.org/site/MessageViewer?dlv_id=36661&em_id=26061.0

Following is a letter from Diallo Brooks of PFAW:

Dear People For Supporter,

TOMORROW at 1:00 P.M., the Judiciary Committees of the Massachusetts
Senate and House will hold a joint hearing on an important resolution
urging Congress to pass an amendment to the U.S. Constitution
overruling the Supreme Court's disastrous decision in Citizens United
v. FEC (S. 772).

Citizens United opened the door for unlimited, undisclosed corporate
spending to influence elections, creating nothing short of an
existential threat to American democracy. Now, it's up to us to undo
the harm of that decision and restore Government By the People, NOT
the corporations. Even President Obama recently came out in support of
a constitutional amendment.

The Massachusetts resolution's chief sponsor is Sen. Jamie Eldridge, a
longtime friend of PFAW and the state director of our affiliate PFAW
Foundation's Young Elected Officials Network. He and our other allies
who are working hard to move this resolution need your help. We want a
big crowd of supporters at the hearing. Can you take some time
tomorrow to make it to the hearing and then meet with your
legislators?

If we can help move the resolution through the Judiciary Committees,
chance of passage in both chambers of the legislature stands a great
shot. Our friends at Free Speech for People are organizing a
briefing/training for activists before the hearing and constituent
meetings with legislators immediately after. Please RSVP to attend
here.

Here's the schedule of the day's events:

11:30 A.M.: Strategy briefing and training session, State House room.
167.Come and learn how you can make a difference that day.

1:00 P.M.: Official hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee, State
House room. A-2. We need to fill the room with supporters, and you'll
have a chance to speak if you want to. Be there!

Following the hearing: Meet with your legislators. Attendees will
split up into clusters to visit their own elected officials and urge
them to support Resolution S772.
We hope you can make it up to Beacon Hill tomorrow to give the
resolution the grassroots support that it needs and help make
Massachusetts the third state to pass a resolution calling for a
much-needed constitutional amendment.

RSVP here.

Thank you for your ongoing support and activism to take back our democracy.

-- Diallo Brooks, Director of Field Mobilization

PFAW.org
People For the American Way

--
Susan Serpa