[act-ma] Monthly Peace Film Series: Jeju Island and Non-violent Resistance -- Thu., March 1 at 6:45 PM @ Central Sq. Library

Corr, Brian bcorr at cambridgema.gov
Tue Feb 28 09:38:49 PST 2012

The Monthly Peace & Justice Film Series presents:
JEJU ISLAND
A FILM FROM THE AL JAZEERA SERIES ON NON-VIOLENT RESISTANCE, " A CALL AGAINST ARMS"
Thursday, March 1, 6:45 to 9pm
Central Square Library, 45 Pearl St., Cambridge

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CCF615.B8FD83F0]
MATTHEW HOEY, A MEMBER OF THE CAMBRIDGE PEACE COMMISSION WHO IS ALSO CURRENTLY WORKING WITH JEJU ISLAND PEOPLE TO STOP A NAVAL BASE THAT WILL DESTROY THEIR  ISLAND, WILL JOIN US FOR THE DISCUSSION.

WE WILL, WITH MATTHEW'S HELP, SKYPE JEJU ISLANDERS SO THAT WE MAY HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH THEM

According to Robert Redford
"The U.S. campaign to "encircle" China with its Aegis anti-ballistic system is threatening the pristine coastline of Jeju Island, a culturally and ecologically unique land off the southern coast of the Korean peninsula."

>From an Op Ed in The New York Times called, "The Arms Race Intrudes on Paradise<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/opinion/sunday/Steinem-the-arms-race-intrudes-on-a-south-korean-paradise.html>" by Gloria Steinem:

There are some actions on which those of us alive today will be judged in centuries to come. The only question will be: What did we know and when did we know it? I think one judge-worthy action may be what you and I do about the militarization of Jeju Island in service of the arms race.

Jeju isn't just any island. It has just been selected as one of the "Seven Wonders of Nature<http://nature.n7w.com/>" for its breathtaking beauty, unique traditions and sacred groves. Of the world's 66 UNESCO Global Geoparks<http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/environment/earth-sciences/geoparks/>, nine are on Jeju Island. It is also culturally unique with a tradition of balance between people and nature, women and men, that causes it to be called Women's Island. It is also known as Peace Island.
(http://www.onearth.org/blog/robert-redford-jeju-island-korean-paradise-threatened)

[cid:875B70F72EF648B7909C8E248D0BB3A0 at home]

Robert Redford: "I am moved and impressed that the residents near the coastline have been waging a fierce nonviolent struggle to stop the base. They've used their bodies to block bulldozers and cement trucks, sacrificed their personal freedom, been beaten and imprisoned, and paid heavy fines for "obstructing" the business of the navy and such construction companies as Samsung and Daelim -- all to protect their homeland and an irreplaceable treasure on this planet Earth. Though 94 percent of the villagers voted against the base, the South Korean government is proceeding with construction. It is also bound by treaty to let the U.S. military use all its bases."

Parking Nearby
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom & the Cambridge Peace Commission

Refreshments will be served
For more information: 617 244-8054