[act-ma] 3/23: Currencies, a dis/Conference - David Graeber at Harvard on March 23 (12 Noon to 5:00 p.m.)

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Sun Mar 4 20:51:43 PST 2012

[Wow!   What an opportunity.  He teaches at the London School of
Economics.  I recently finished his /_Debt: The First 5,000 Years_ /- Bob C]

  *Currencies, a dis/Conference* /with David Graeber/

Harvard University
March 23, 2012, 12n-5p

Currencies are telling of our current time. Debt, labor,
commodification, ownership, and consumerism structure and characterize
contemporary life and academia. From the monetization and protection of
intellectual property to the debts that students accrue, from the
exploitation of adjunct labor to the re-productions of class lines, this
dis/Conference seeks critical engagement with what has currency and what
serves as currency in education and life today.

In contrast to traditional conference formats, this dis/Conference seeks
to facilitate open, horizontal education through substantive knowledge
sharing, inquiry, critique, and discussion. Together with David Graeber
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/books/review/anarchist-anthropology.html>
- anarchist <http://newleftreview.org/A2368>, occupier
<http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/10/david-graeber-on-playing-by-the-rules-%E2%80%93-the-strange-success-of-occupy-wall-street.html>,
and anthropologist
<http://books.google.com/books/about/Toward_an_anthropological_theory_of_valu.html?id=uo8tttilAlQC>
- we will engage the economies of academia by subverting its dominant
forms of knowledge production. In the process, we will participate in
the purposeful creation of an alternative model for scholarly
engagement, beyond mere discussion. Under this model, our primary
resources will be ourselves. Everyone - inside or outside of academia -
is welcome.
*
/We invite you to take an active role in shaping and leading this
dis/Conference/*/. /

We invite you to submit a topic, idea, or interest, formulated as a
question for consideration, that will serve along with others as a
guiding structure for the event.

You will have the opportunity to introduce this question at the
dis/Conference with a brief (<5 minutes) statement.

Please email your question to ideas at currenciesdisconference.info
<mailto:ideas at currenciesdisconference.info> by Wednesday, March 7.

*Download Print Version for distribution
<http://www.currenciesdisconference.info/files/Currencies_CallforQuestions.pdf>*
Quick Registration Form {please register for us to be able to choose an
accommodating space}