[act-ma] Fw: TAX DAY Protest Tues.-Protest the 1%

Michael Borkson nosanctions at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 17:51:53 PDT 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----

ADVISORY

970-0052, lisette at righttothecity.org
>Brandon German, City Life/Vida Urbana, (617) 584-1468 bgbran at gmail.com
>
>#99TaxDay: Hundreds Take to the Streets to Demand
Massachusetts Tax Dodgers Pay their Fair Share
>Mass march, rally will demand major corporations and
the wealthiest 1% do their part to fund our communities – just like the rest of us do

>**VISUALS:
Life-size “corporate pig” CEOs, Huge helium-filled pig balloons, Presentation
of large-scale invoices to GE/Verizon/State Street/et al for taxes owed**

>BOSTON, MA – This Tax Day – Tuesday, April 17 – hundreds of Massachusetts taxpayers will take
to the streets of Boston’s Financial District to demand major corporations and the
wealthiest 1% pay their fair share to fund our communities. The protests are
part of a growing, nationwide wave of
discontent against big corporations, the rich and politicians who have
created an economic emergency for the 99% through rampant tax dodging.

>From Dorchester to the North Shore, area taxpayers
and community leaders will gather for a host of neighborhood-based
demonstrations throughout the day, beginning at 12:00pm [details available on request].  The series of local actions will shine a light on the commonwealth’s
most egregious corporate tax dodgers – culminating
at 5:30pm at Boston’s Dewey Square, where hundreds of fellow fed-up residents will
gather for a mass rally and march through Boston’s Financial District. More
than 30 community, labor and peace groups have joined together to call on corporations
and the 1% to do their part to fund our communities – including the MASSUNITING coalition, Right to the City Alliance,
Massachusetts AFL-CIO, MoveOn.org and OccupyBoston.

>Tuesday’s
march and rally come on the heels of a new reportby the non-partisan
Institute on Taxation & Economic Policy and Citizens for Tax Justice, which
reveals that local corporations such as General Electric, State Street, Bank of
America and Verizon are amongst the worst tax dodgers in America. General
Electric alone managed to draw in a federal tax refund of $3.7 billion over the
last three years, despite posting profits of more than $19.6 billion.   The
tax dodging policies of companies like GE have drained millions from the
Massachusetts economy – forcing mass layoffs, slashing vital services, and
closing schools and community centers.

>Details on additional
Massachusetts events can be found at www.TaxDayBoston.org, with nationwide actions available at www.99uniting.org. Stay up to date on
Twitter at #99TaxDay and #FairShare.

>WHO:              Hundreds of Massachusetts middle-class and low-income
taxpayers

>WHAT:                        Tax Day march and rally to call on corporations and
the 1% to pay their
>fair share in taxes to fund our communities
>
>WHEN:                        Rally & March at 5:30pm ; other events throughout
the day

>WHERE:           Dewey Square (across from South Station) to Post
Office Square – Boston, MA