[act-ma] TONIGHT: Art of the Schmooze SoJust Skillshare

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Mon May 14 06:00:32 PDT 2012

Hey fellow activists and organizers!

There are still a few spots left for *tonight's Art of the Schmooze
skillshare <http://www.sojust.org/events/55667782/>*. Get great networking
tips and then join us at Socializing for Justice's open house, Connecting
for Justice, on Thursday, May 24 <http://www.sojust.org/events/55668702/>.
Share this with your friends and colleagues - please be sure they register!

Best,
Robbie

Do you often get stuck in conversations? Not know how to approach people at
networking events?   *Join Socializing for Justice for a  fast-paced,  fun
& interactive Skillshare on the Art of the Schmooze on May 14, 6:00 - 8:30
PM* at the NonProfit Center by South Station.

*Register:* http://www.sojust.org/events/55667782/ - newcomers always
welcome!
*Fee:* $10-$20 (sliding scale - cash at the door)

SoJust hosts events that draw progressives of all stripes that share common
values but may work on different issues. We host monthly socials that allow
for the possibility of cross-issue connections and run a monthly Skillshare
Series, hosted by The NonProfit Center*, which increases our individual
capacity for movement building.

SCHEDULE
6:00-6:30 Socializing -  *bring your own dinner*
6:30-8:30 Training and Q&A

*SoJust's Co-Founder, Robbie Samuels, who is well known for his schmoozing
skills, is this month's facilitator.*

*Art of the Schmooze*
Forming and cultivating relationships is at the heart of any successful
fundraising campaign, volunteer drive, committee effort or community
building activity. This training will give you the confidence to pursue
your personal goals - from the importance of shaking hands and making eye
contact, to tips on the best opening line and how to exit a conversation
gracefully. An amazing side benefit is that you'll learn how to create a
welcoming community space by keeping an eye out for outliers, considering
yourself a host instead of a guest and knowing how to compliment someone
without "othering" them.

ABOUT OUR PRESENTER
*Robbie Samuels *has extensive community organizing, events logistics and
fundraising experience. In 2006 he co-founded Socializing for Justice to
build a cross-cultural, cross-issue progressive community, network and
movement in Boston based on the philosophy of abundance. He is the Senior
Manager of Events and Donor Engagement at Gay & Lesbian Advocates &
Defenders (GLAD). On the side he offers trainings and consultation to
non-profit boards, venture capitalists and grassroots organizers. In 2011,
Boston City Council named his birthday, September 16, "Robbie Samuels Day".
Learn more about his trainings, including: Art of the Schmooze,
Fundraising: Getting Past the Fear of Asking, Suicide Prevention Training
for Community Leaders, at www.robbiesamuels.com.<http://www.robbiesamuels.com/>

**  DIRECTIONS<http://www.nonprofitcenterboston.org/site/c.ddKGIQNuEmG/b.1363373/k.5381/About_Us__Directions.htm>
-
The NonProfit Center* is located one block from South Station at 89 South
Street. The Center is physically accessible through the main lobby.
*Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org*
Since 2006, we've been building this great sandbox where we can bring
progressives of all stripes together and try out new ideas in this
"Movement Moment". Spaces like this are crucial as we start to reframe and
build new visions for our movement(s).

With 2000 members and 5 1/2 years of creating a diverse cross-issue
community in Boston (120+ events!), Socializing for Justice is the best
place to find the great people, organizations and community you're looking
for while putting the SOCIAL back in social justice.

*YES, WE MEAN YOU.* We've got members of all ages, races, genders, sexual
orientations, levels of activism and professions. We hope you see someone
like yourself and meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

*Want to know more about SoJust?* Check out our  Frequently Asked
Questions<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>
and
past event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!