[act-ma] Job Opening: Paths To College & Careers Fellow

Lynn Pray lynn at hydesquare.org
Mon Jul 16 13:09:39 PDT 2012

Please feel free to forward to your networks.
*Service Description*

At *Hyde Square Task Force, *our mission is to develop the skills of youth
and their families so that they are empowered to enhance their own lives
and build a strong and vibrant urban community. We accomplish this by
engaging young people in Jamaica Plain, Roxbury and across Boston using a
unique Youth Community Development model: using community
focused-activities to build skills like critical thinking and
communication, while providing mentoring and support which prepares teens
to succeed in college and future careers. The Fellow will spearhead our
organization’s efforts to ensure that all youth participants have access to
effective education by incorporating several new and innovative strategies
into our existing Paths to College and Careers Program (PCCP). This will
entail conducting individual academic assessments for each of our PCCP
participants, and working with teens to develop individualized action plans
for success. The Fellow will also plan and implement our brand new Peer
Learning Communities, in which students with high academic records host
monthly discussions on effective study strategies, skill development, and
habits for college and career success.

*Essential Responsibilities*

Ø  Prepare and conduct individual academic assessments of all youth
participants

Ø  Recruit and train tutors for tutoring program and provide support when
needed

Ø  Facilitate and monitor weekly tutoring sessions

Ø  Identify youth in need of increased support and set up additional time
with tutors and Peer Leaders

Ø  Track individual student progress

Ø  Work with staff and students in high academic standing to develop a
curriculum for Peer Learning Community

Ø  Facilitate and monitor Peer Learning Community group planning meetings

Ø  Work with staff on creating a sustainabilty plan for the program

Ø  Travel at least once/month to Fellowship meetings, retreats, and
training throughout the Commonwealth

*Qualifications*

Ø  *Bilingual in English and Spanish required*

Ø  *Looking for diverse candidates*

Ø  Excellent organizational and communication skills **

Ø  The ability to work independently

Ø  *An interest in and commitment to national and community service *

Ø  Experience working with urban youth of color

Ø  The desire to work with diverse constituencies**

Ø  Must be patient**

Ø  Flexibility and a sense of humor**

Ø  Ability to see the big picture without losing sight of the details**

Ø  Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills**

Ø  Flexible schedule to work nights and some weekends**

Ø  Must have a BA/BS **

Ø  Professional and mature* *

Ø  Must be willing to comply with a criminal background check and FBI
fingerprint check**

Ø  Must be a US Resident, US National or Permanent Resident Alien**

*Benefits*

For a one year full-time commitment and 1700 hours of AmeriCorps service
Fellows receive:

A taxable living allowance of $269/week ¨ Comprehensive health care
benefits ¨

Excellent training opportunities ¨ FREE courses at Northeastern University
in the College of Professional Studies ¨

Loan forbearance and a $5,550 educational award

*Contact Information*

*Apply ASAP!* Applicants are hired on a rolling basis.  Send a letter of
interest, resume and contact info for three references electronically to:

Joél Mora, Manager of College & Career Success, Hyde Square Task Force

Email: joel at hydesquare.org  | No phone calls please

* *

*More Info*

Ø  Program start date is August 2012