[act-ma] 7/23 Cambridge: Gaza Embroidery Exhibit & Sale (Mon)

jdm jdm07141789 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 12:32:53 PDT 2012

[Hi everyone,

Please see the attachment to this email. (If there is no attachment, or if
you cannot open it, then I give a transcription below, with a few additions
in square brackets.)]

The embroidery produced by the Sulafa Embroidery Project in Gaza provides
income to nearly 400 women and their families!

Brought to you by:
The Poverty Alleviation Fund
Folk Art Mavens
The Palestine-Israel Peace Taskforce of First Church Cambridge.

Monday, July 23, 6:30-9:30 pm
First Church Cambridge, 11 Garden St, Hastings Room.

Embroidery from Gaza
Exhibit and Sale
[With Gaza speakers]

[Made in a variety of stunning patterns, traditional and more modern, for
men and women, the exhibit and sale features pillow cases/textile art,
bags, zipped small cases, glasses cases, gowns, and several other items.
There's also a well-produced booklet giving a sense of the lives of several
of the women who produced the items.]

Speakers [brief]:
Hind el Arabi - The Women's Program Officer for UNRWA [UN Relief & Works
Agency] in Gaza
Sumayya Abu-Auda - Shop Manager, Sulafa Embroidery Project.

Traditional refreshments served.

[My spouse and I saw this earlier at a different location. The items are
stunning, more like works of art. I've seen Palestinian embroidery before,
but nothing like this. Guys: Don't let the word "embroidery" throw you off.
This is serious and there's plenty for us too. The two speakers from Gaza
were impressive too. See the attachment for some images.

Jacob]

Transport:

MBTA: Red Line, Harvard Sq.

Parking: Church St. Parking Lot, 41 Church St.

RSVP/Questions:
Arthur Holcombe, arthurholcombe at tpaf.org 617-491-8681
Janice Hayden: janice at folkartmavens.com 781-864-4008.