[act-ma] Contract campaing for 14,000 janitors

Ben Kuss bkuss at seiu615.org
Fri Sep 14 11:32:00 PDT 2012

Dear Act-Ma:

My name is Ben Kuss, and I am an organizer with the SEIU Local 615 (www.seiu615.org). On September 30th, the contract that covers 14,000 janitors will expire, and this week at the bargaining table management has proposed language that will roll back decades of gains, including cuts in wages, benefits, and most importantly to members, the chance to have full-time work.

We will be having a community briefing at our local, this upcoming Wednesday, from 9am – 11am. Please consider the following for submission, and thank you:

Justice for Janitors Campaign Briefing
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
9 – 11AM @ SEIU Local 615, 26 West Street, Downtown Boston

Cleaning contractors have proposed language at the bargaining table that would wipe out the hard fought gains that janitors have made over the last decade. Among other things, they are proposing to create a permanent second tier with substantially lower rates and doing away with language intended to move workers to full time.

As the 14,000 janitors of SEIU 615 approach the deadline of their contract on September 30th, community support will be more crucial than ever. Join the members and leadership of SEIU 615 for a breakfast and discussion of where we are now, what the most effective support actions will be, and how we are preparing for escalated activity.
Please RSVP to Khalida at ksmalls at seiu615.org, or 617-878-7460; www.seiu615.org

Hard working Janitors will need your support at this critical moment in the campaign – join us and learn more about how you can help.

We will begin having DAILY noontime actions starting Monday, September 17, 2012 where we will need support from community allies.

Here are ways to get involved and stay informed about our daily actions:
• To get daily updates about our daily actions, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
• http://www.facebook.com/SEIU615http://twitter.com/seiu615
• Meet at SEIU 615 (26 West Street, downtown) at 11:30AM for daily action briefings and
• Stand with us at a building to deliver a clear message to the city, contractors and owners – the community is watching and janitors have a right to full time work and a fair wage

Contact us if you want to volunteer to help in other ways.  Let us know you are willing, ready and able to STAND WITH WORKERS AND SUPPORT THEM IF WE NEED TO STRIKE.  We must go forward to protect our rights as workers, NOT backwards!