[act-ma] Fwd: Canvass on Saturday, Reflections on the European General Strike // Toquemos puertas el sábado, Reflexiones sobre la Huelga General en Europa

Aria Littlhous aria at littlhous.net
Fri Nov 16 09:51:33 PST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dominic Desiata <ddesiata at clvu.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Subject: Canvass on Saturday, Reflections on the European General Strike //
Toquemos puertas el sábado, Reflexiones sobre la Huelga General en Europa

Dear North Side Bank Tenants Association members and friends,

As winter approaches, it is important that we bring more and more people
together in solidarity and resistance to Wall Street. Please join us this
Saturday morning to reach out to East Boston residents in foreclosure.
Also, in our efforts to build a stronger Bank Tenants movement, we look to
international struggle for inspiration. Please take a moment to read a
report on our discussion of Wednesday's General Strike across Europe. Check
out the video link and feel free to share your own reflections. Of course,
we always appreciate your presence and contributions at the North Side Bank
Tenants Association every Wednesday evening.

Sincerely,

Dominic DeSiata, Organizer

*1) Build Power! Foreclosure Outreach in East Boston*

Saturday, November 17th

10:00am - 1:00pm

Our Saviour's Lutheran Church

28 Paris Street, East Boston, MA

Facebook Event <https://www.facebook.com/events/172480989559998>

Please join us Saturday morning, November 17th for an outreach canvass in
East Boston! We will be visiting homes facing foreclosure to connect with
residents and build the North Side Bank Tenants Association. We have a long
list, so WE NEED YOUR PARTICIPATION!!!

We will meet up for coffies, pastries and a quick training. Then, we will
head out into the neighborhood to reach out to those directly affected by
the foreclosure crisis. Please dress warmly!

*2) Our Reflections on the General Strike in Europe*

At our weekly meeting we watched a video from Democracy Now! about the
General Strike against austerity in Europe. Millions of working class
people across the continent took left work and school to take the streets
in opposition to economic injustice including the massive housing and
unemployment crisis affecting Spain. For more info, check out the
video here<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cjIQS1XD2w>
.

We split up into small groups to reflect on the video and figure out what
lessons we can learn from people abroad who are fighting battles very
similar to our own fight against foreclosure and evictions. Here are some
of our observations:

The crises in the United States and Europe are very similar, in that they
both involve massive cuts in public services, layoffs and like our own
situation, foreclosure is at the center. Banks and investment companies are
getting richer and richer while the people at the bottom are suffering. In
both cases, immigrants and people of color are disproportionately impacted.
In Spain, residents in foreclosure not only lose their homes, they are
stuck paying the deficiency (the money left on the loan). *This is
outrageous!*

The international General Strike is a bold tactic on the part of the
movements there. It really shakes things up when so many people
participate. It brings the economy to a halt – raising the cost to the
Capitalists and complicit governments. In addition to its economic impact,
the General Strike brought people together across different industries,
issues, ethnicities and religions. All of us are affected, so we have to
build a movement that can challenge the system. We found it very
interesting that the banks in Spain declared a partial moratorium on
evictions just a day before the General Strike. This was done in part to
take the air out of the movement, but in reality it is also a small
victory. It is similar to the Bank Tenants movement when we threaten to
blockade an eviction and the banks give in before we begin to protest. *The
power of an organized movement frightens the banks!*

All of the action across the Atlantic has us thinking about how we can
build and strengthen our movements here. Although much of the push behind
the General Strike in Europe was inspired by the foreclosure crisis, people
came together around a broader issue – austerity. We talked Wednesday night
about ways to make links with other movements and struggling people that
might not have foreclosure at the top of their agendas. People like
janitors, MBTA riders and workers are affected by the recession (it ain’t
over, by the way). We should make common cause with them and take our
movement out into the streets. We also should use our social networks
through family, coworkers and faith organizations to help spread the word.
As the mainstream media reports more and more on the “Fiscal Cliff” which
will cause tax increases and cuts in public services, we think about how we
can best organize to defend what little we have and build towards a society
in which all have enough. *The struggle continues!*

***

Queridos miembros y amigos de la Asociación de Inquilinos de Bancos del
Norte de Boston,

Al acercarse el invierno, es importante que unamos más y más gente en
solidaridad y resistencia a Wall Street. Por favor, únanse a nosotros este
sábado por la mañana para As winter approaches, it is important that we
bring more and more people together in solidarity and resistance to Wall
Street. Please join us this Saturday morning to reach out to East Boston
residents in foreclosure. Also, in our efforts to build a stronger Bank
Tenants movement, we look to international struggle for inspiration. Please
take a moment to read a report on our discussion of Wednesday's General
Strike across Europe. Check out the video link and feel free to share your
own reflections. Of course, we always appreciate your presence and
contributions at the North Side Bank Tenants Association every Wednesday
evening.

Sincerely,

Dominic DeSiata, Organizer

En nuestra reunion semanal, miramos un video del programa “Democracy Now!”
sobre la huelga general en contra de la austeridad en Europa. Millones de
personas de la clase trabajadora de todo el continente salieron de los
trabajos y las escuelas para tomar las calles para oponerse a la injusticia
económica, incluso la crisis masiva de vivienda y desempleo que está
afectando a España. Para más información vean este
video<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cjIQS1XD2w>(en inglés).

Nos dividimos en grupos pequeños para reflexionar sobre el video y para
averiguar cuáles lecciones podemos aprender  de la gente en el extranjero
quienes se encuentran en batallas muy similares a nuestra batalla contra
los embargos y los desalojos. Estas son algunas de nuestras observaciones:

Las crisis en los Estados Unidos y Europa son muy parecidas. Las dos
involucran recortes masivos a los servicios públicos, despidos, y como
nuestra propia situación, la crisis hipotecaria está en el medio. Los
bancos y las sociedades de inversión se vuelven más y más ricos mientras la
gente abajo sufre. En ambos casos, los inmigrantes y las personas de color
son desproporcionadamente impactados. En España, los dueños de casas
embargadas no solamente pierden sus hogares, se quedan pagando la
deficiencia (la deuda restante del préstamo). *¡Ésto es indignante!*

La huelga general internacional es una táctica audaz por parte de los
movimientos de Europa. Realmente sacude las cosas cuando tantas personas
participan. Se lleva la economía a un punto muerto – se eleva el costo para
los capitalistas y los gobiernos cómplices. Además a su impacto económico,
la huelga general unió la gente en las diferentes industrias, luchas,
etnias y religiones. Todas y todos somos afectados, entonces tenemos que
crear un movimiento que pueda retar al sistema. Nos pareció muy interesante
que en España los bancos declararon una moratoria limitada a los desalojos
solo un día antes de la huelga general. Esto se hizo por parte para tomar
el aire del movimiento, pero en realidad también es una pequeña victoria.
Es parecido al movimiento de Inquilinos de Bancos cuando amenazamos con un
bloqueo de desalojo y los bancos se rinden antes del comienzo de la
protesta. *¡El poder de un movimiento organizado asusta a los bancos!*

Todas las acciones al otro lado del Atlántico nos hacen pensar sobre cómo
podemos fomentar y fortalecer a los movimientos de este país. Aunque el
empuje detrás de la huelga general en Europa fue inspirado por la crisis
hipotecaria, la gente se unió por un problema más grande – la austeridad.
Hablamos el miércoles por la noche sobre cómo hacer enlaces con otros
movimientos y gente luchadora que tal vez no tienen los embargos
hipotecarios como su enfoque principal. La gente como las y los
trabajadores de limpieza, las y los pasajeros y trabajadores de transporte
público son afectados por la recesión (a propósito, no se ha acabado).
Debemos hacer causa común con ellos para llevar el movimiento a tomar las
calles. También debemos usar nuestras redes sociales a través de la
familia, las y los compañeras de trabajo y las organizaciones religiosas
para pasar la voz. Mientras los grandes medios de comunicación informan más
y más sobre el “precipicio fiscal” que causará aumentos de los impuestos y
recortes a los servicios públicos, nosotros pensamos en cómo podemos
organizarnos mejor para defender lo poco que tenemos y para construir  una
sociedad en que todos tengamos suficiente. *¡**La lucha sigue!*

--
Dominic DeSiata, Organizer / Organizador
City Life/Vida Urbana

North Side Bank Tenants Association
 http://www.facebook.com/northside.bta
Twitter: @NorthSide_BTA

--
"Our goal is a society that prioritizes the needs of all before the profits
of the few." passed by Occupy Boston General Assembly 11/29/11