[act-ma] 11/25 DANIELLE DELUCA - "We Are All Barillas"

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Tue Nov 20 13:19:27 PST 2012

THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
SUNDAY SPEAKERS FORUM presents...

Sunday, November 25, 2012
11:00am

DANIELLE DELUCA
"We Are All Barillas"

Since 2009, Hidralia Energia, through its subsidiary Hydro Santa Cruz, has
been planning a series of dams on the Q'am B'alam river that surrounds the
town of Santa Cruz Barillas. The proposed project would be installed in an
area used by the community for ceremonial, recreational, and agricultural
purposes. The project will also have significant impacts on the already
fragile natural environment. This talk will focus on a recent campaign to
stop a hydroelectric dam in the Mayan community of Barillas, Huehuetenango
in Guatemala, and how it relates to a broader trend towards neo-liberalism
and militarization by the government there.

Danielle DeLuca is originally from the Boston area but has been living in
Guatemala for the past three years, working with Indigenous Peoples on
different programs through Cultural Survival.

Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.communitychurchofboston.org

*************

JOIN US ON SUNDAYS

11:00am Sunday Speakers' Service/Forum (2nd floor)
12:30pm Luncheon (2nd floor)

*************

NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY CHURCH FORUM (12/2)

Marking World AIDS Day
ACT-UP BOSTON

*************

LUNCH ON SUNDAYS, 12:30PM

On Sunday after our morning programs, we have lunch with one another,
prepared by our cook Luis Alonso Guzman. Enjoy a delicious lunch with
friends! A small contribution is requested to help cover lunch expenses.

*************

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets.

Parking is available on Sunday mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on
Clarendon Street or St. James Ave.). We can provide a sticker to affix to
your parking receipt, and you will be charged $5.00 for 3 hours of parking.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-minute walk from either
station.

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and
practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical  ideals to
individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all forms of
social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Linda Jenkins, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston