[act-ma] Sun 1/27: Budget for All: Budget Briefing and Action Planning

Cole Harrison cole at masspeaceaction.org
Thu Jan 24 12:50:34 PST 2013

**
  Budget for All: Budget Briefing and Action Planning  Contact Your State
Legislators to Co-Sponsor Budget for All!

*Friday, Feb. 1* is the deadline for legislators to co-sponsor resolutions
backing the Budget for All in the State House. Please call your State Rep
and State Senator asking them to sign on!

State Reps should contact lead sponsor Rep. Carl Sciortino (617-722-2013,
Carl.Sciortino at mahouse.gov) to sign on to HD 2679. State Senators should
contact lead sponsor Sen. Dan Wolf (617-722-1570, Daniel.Wolf at masenate.gov)
to sign on to SD 856.

Since the resolutions will take time to be considered, we are also asking
legislators to sign a letter to Congress supporting the Budget for All and
pointing out that budget cuts are affecting state and local services. Ask
your legislator to sign the letter at the desk of Jim Gay in Rep. Peter
Kocot's office, State House room 22.
Have a Heart! Valentine's Day Rally <http://justicewithpeace.org/node/4206>

*Thursday, February 14*
*12:00 noon*
JFK Federal Building, Government Center, Boston

Join the Budget for All Coalition will rally to demand that Massachusetts'
Congressional delegation follow the will of the people, as expressed in
November's overwhelming vote for the Budget for All, in Washington budget
negotiations.

Have a Heart: No More Cuts in the Safety Net!
Have a Heart: Invest in Jobs!
Have a Heart: Tax the 1%!
Have a Heart: Bring the Troops Home! Have a Heart: Cut the Military Budget!
  *When:* Sunday, January 27, 2013, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
 *Where: *Haymarket People's Fund • 42 Seaverns Ave • Green Street T
(Orange Line) • Jamaica Plain

The Budget for All Coalition presents a briefing on the federal budget
battles now underway.

The Budget Briefing will analyze the budget battle in Congress, our moment
of opportunity, and the national strategy to save social programs and make
Pentagon cuts.   First, we’ll look at what’s in the Jan. 1 deal and what’s
coming up to be addressed by Congress before the Mar. 1 deadline.   We’ll
review the programs that would be cut under “sequestration” vs. those that
would be cut by the Republican, Administration, and progressive proposals.
We will look at the impact of various budget scenarios on jobs and public
programs in Massachusetts.  We’ll examine the Pentagon budget and proposals
to cut or increase it.

Then we'll do Action Planning so our elected officials honor the will of
the people of Massachusetts in their votes on upcoming budget legislation,
including significant decisions to be made by February.  We'll work on
plans for our Feb. 14 "Have a Heart"
rallies<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/4206>,
legislative action, and plans to contact the media.

[image: Budget for All]As it becomes clearer that key programs will not
avoid cuts, we expect the political outcry to grow during the money of
February.  Our job is to ensure that Pentagon cuts and taxes on
corporations and the rich are continually presented as viable alternatives.

Presenters will include Mike Prokosch, national coordinator of the New
Priorities Network, member of Dorchester People for Peace and of the Budget
for All steering committee; Michael Kane, executive director, Massachusetts
Alliance of HUD tenants; Cole Harrison, executive director, Massachusetts
Peace Action. Refreshments will be served!

--
Cole Harrison
Executive Director
Massachusetts Peace Action