[act-ma] Help plan RootsCamp MA - progressive unconference

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:32:36 PST 2013

It's very, very rare that Socializing for Justice
<http://www.sojust.org/> finds
an opportunity to co-sponsor events because we purposely don't align
ourselves with single issue groups. So it is with great pleasure that I
share that Socializing for Justice has once again partnered with New
Organizing Institute <http://neworganizing.com/> (NOI) to host
*RootsCamp*<http://www.bit.ly/rootscampma>
* MA on April 6-7, 2013* <http://www.bit.ly/rootscampma>. Just over two
years ago, we gathered almost 100 local activists to discuss the successes
and challenges facing social change organizations, and to help create a
diverse, powerful and inclusive gathering of passionate activists. We heard
each others organizing challenges and left with solutions to make our
individual and collective efforts stronger and better. Based on our
outreach efforts this past month, we expect 250 attendees this year!
*
**Want to help make this happen? **We're looking for a few more people to
join the RootsCamp MA Organizing Committee.* *Our third planning meeting is
on Monday, February 25th in downtown Boston. Email robbie at robbiesamuels.com to
get the details. *We're doing this as volunteers and could very much use
your help to make this happen and strengthen Massachusetts' cross-issue
progressive community, network and movement. We also need organizations to
sign up as a RootsCamp MA sponsor or partner and commit to spreading the
word to their community.

*What's RootsCamp?** *It's a friendly environment where you'll have
time to make
real connections with people working on and interested in lots of different
issues. (Sound familiar?) Over one weekend in Boston, RootsCamp MA will
bring together a broad spectrum of organizers to discuss and collaborate,
share lessons learned, and drive the conversation about best practices in
social justice organizing. We'll discuss the successes and challenges facing
activists and organizers. With your help we'll bring together diverse
voices and perspectives from across the state and create a powerful,
inclusive, and productive event. Join us, and help drive the progressive
movement forward.

*How's it organized? *It's an "unconference" - meaning YOU get to present a
session without having to submit a proposal ahead of time. The whole point
of this RootsCamp unconference is for local organizers to own and
drive the conversation.
It's the only conference this year where you are guaranteed to have a
chance to talk about what YOU want to talk about. It's part reflection: a
candid environment to share what's working and what isn't. It's also a chance
to get to know each other better and plan the year ahead. Here's a quick
video explaining the unconference concept: http://youtu.be/wM6htb8Hifg.

*Who should attend RootsCamp MA?* Change agents and progressives of all
stripes, from across Massachusetts, who have lessons to share, more to
learn, or campaigns and projects to move forward.  Whether you consider
yourself a "progressive" or simply work on an issue or matter that moves
our country forward, add your voice and perspective -- help shape and take
ownership over RootsCamp.

*When is it? Where is it? *April 6-7, 2013 at SEIU 1199 in Dorchester.

*How much does it cost to attend? *Tickets are $20 and both days include
breakfast, lunch and snacks. A limited number of $10 tickets are available.
Sponsor at $100 or more to help subsidize event expenses. Purchase at:
www.<https://mail.google.com/_/mail-static/_/js/main/m_i,t,it/rt=h/ver=IQc2a5aQBbI.en./sv=1/am=!jI0GlIv7LGD1BOWbNKvsQoJp6hlaAsQlOgyAQFjQY6Hssdlse5aKVh_68mtrtuJQFWzTAw/goog_1705646518>
rootscampma13.eventbrite.com

*What can you do to get involved?* There are many ways to support
RootsCamp.

   - logistics and planning (locating a venue, getting food donated)
   - outreach to organizations and communities across MA (as diverse as
   possible)
   - identify prospective organizations to co-sponsor (and ask them)
   - day of support (set-up, hanging signs, staffing check-in, coordinating
   food, clean-up, etc.)
   - organize an after party Saturday night
   - photograph or video RootsCamp
   - blog/tweet @ RootsCamp
   - plan to lead a session (bring a topic to discuss, skill to share, etc.)
   - attend and bring your friends

*How do you get involved? *Attend the first planning meeting on 1/28 if you
can. Otherwise, email me what you'd like to help with and I'll be in touch
as we get ourselves organized. Your volunteer time commitment will vary
depending on what task(s) you step up to help with. Take on as much or as
little as you can.

*Next steps? RSVP for the  planning meeting on 2/25 at 6PM by contacting
Robbie at RobbieSamuels.com. * It will be held at an office located in
Downtown Crossing by Park Street. The office has an elevator, microwave and
water cooler. Bring your own dinner and snacks to share. This will be a
working meeting so bring your laptop (if possible). Directions will be
provided once you confirm your RSVP.

Best,
Robbie

p.s. I've added links to several Socializing for Justice resources to my
email signature below...

*____________________*
      @RobbieSamuels <http://www.twitter.com/robbiesamuels> |
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/robbiesamuels>
 | Fan Page <http://facebook.com/ArtoftheSchmooze> |
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/robbiesamuels>

*        Trainer and Consultant |
RobbieSamuels.com<http://www.robbiesamuels.com/>
*
                Networking |
ArtoftheSchmooze.com<http://www.artoftheschmooze.com/>
                    Fundraising | PastTheFear.com<http://www.pastthefear.com/>
*             Need business cards?** *Get up to 80% off
VistaPrint<http://vistaprint.tellapal.com/a/clk/96qxW>

               *Socializing for Justice Co-Founder*
      a cross-cultural, cross-issue progressive network
      in Boston based on the philosophy of abundance
                 SoJust.org <http://www.sojust.org/>* *|
@SoJust<http://www.twitter.com/sojust>
                        Events Calendar <http://www.sojust.org/calendar> - Post
Events <http://www.bit.ly/BostonCalendars>