[act-ma] Wed 2/20: Film screening: "My Neighborhood" - presented by Harvard Law School PON & ME Initiative at HKS

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Tue Feb 19 17:10:57 PST 2013

http://www.pon.harvard.edu/events/pon-film-series/my-neighborhood/?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=PON+Harvard+Event+Emails&utm_campaign=Film+Series+My+Neighbourhood

      The Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School and
      *the Middle East Initiative at Harvard Kennedy School are pleased
      to present:*

  *My Neighbourhood*

<http://pon.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/images/posts/Mohammed-El-Kurd_250.jpg>

a new Just Vision documentary short, directed by Julia Bacha and Rebekah
Wingert-Jabi

followed by a panel with

*Julia Bacha*, director/producer of /My Neighbourhood/

*Daniel Seidemann*, founder/director of Territorial Jerusalem

*Thomas Abowd*, Anthropology Department, Tufts University

Moderated by

Professor *Robert H. Mnookin*, Chair, Program on Negotiation, Harvard
Law School

    Wednesday, February 20, 2013

    7:15 -9:15 p.m.

Ames Courtroom, Austin Hall, Harvard Law School

/Free admission
<http://www.pon.harvard.edu/events/pon-film-series/my-neighborhood/?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=PON+Harvard+Event+Emails&utm_campaign=Film+Series+My+Neighbourhood#>;
public welcome.  Pizza and drinks will be served./

View the film trailer here. <http://www.justvision.org/myneighbourhood>

*About the Film:*

Mohammed Al Kurd is a Palestinian teenager growing up in the
neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah in the heart of East Jerusalem. When
Mohammed turns 11, his family is forced to give up part of their home to
Israeli settlers, who are leading a campaign of court-sanctioned
evictions
<http://www.pon.harvard.edu/events/pon-film-series/my-neighborhood/?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=PON+Harvard+Event+Emails&utm_campaign=Film+Series+My+Neighbourhood#>
to guarantee Jewish control of the area. Shortly after the evictions
start, Mohammed's family and other residents begin peacefully protesting
against the displacement. In a surprising turn, they are quickly joined
by scores of Israeli supporters who are horrified to see what is being
done in their name.

/My//Neighborhood/ follows Mohammed's story as he comes of age in the
midst of unrelenting tension and remarkable cooperation in his backyard.
Highlighting Mohammed's own reactions to the highly volatile situation,
reflections from family members and other evicted residents, accounts of
Israeli protesters and interviews with Israeli settlers,
/My//Neighborhood/ chronicles the resolve of a neighborhood and the
support it receives from the most unexpected of places.

/My Neighbourhood /premiered in April 2012 at the Tribeca Film Festival
in New York and has been met with support and recognition at venues
including the Paley Center for Media, the San Francisco Jewish Film
Festival, the Al Jazeera International Documentary Festival and the
European Parliament.