[act-ma] TED Long Beach Livestream in Cambridge, MA

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Mon Feb 25 08:13:48 PST 2013

TEDxBeaconStreet Presents: Livestream of TED Long Beach 2013
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
11:00 AM to 9:30 PM (EST)
Whitehead Institute, 9 Cambridge Center / Camera Culture Lab at MIT Media Lab, 77 Amherst Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5395522152

February 27, 2013 from 11 am - 10 pm EST

TED tried a big experiment this year with an open call for speakers to apply, followed by special salons in 14 countries to see the best ones speak. From thousands of applicants they have included 33 in this year's line-up (nearly half of the total speakers)... and they hope -- you're going to be wowed.
Proudly brought to you by our Superheroes: The Whitehead Institute, Camera Culture Lab, MIT Media Lab & fresh tilled soil - the event is free of charge to attendees.
TEDxBeaconStreet’s own Colin Stokes will be hosting our simulcast Live event.  Colin has sparked conversations about the roles of heroes in the movies with over 650k views of his talk.  They’re probably thanking him now at the Oscars!
Encourage friends and colleagues to join you at this event! We are excited to share this opportunity with you our TEDxBeaconStreet community!  Participate in this year’s premiere TED event LIVE from Long Beach.
See the GREAT speaker line up in detail HERE, as well as a schedule of the local livestream below.
Drop by for a session, an hour, or the whole day - this is a low key event to thank the you all for your participation in our community this year!

Whitehead Institute
9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

http://wi.mit.edu
Whitehead Institute is as a major force in fields ranging from cancer research to transgenic science. Whitehead scientists shaped the emerging field of genomics by making the single largest contribution to the Human Genome Project.

*Session 4: Disrupt!* - *11:30 AM- 1:15 PM *
Alastair Parvin, Designer;
Danny Hillis, Computer theorist;
BLACK, Yo-yo champion;
Lesley Perkes, Public art instigator;
Liu Bolin, Artist;
Amanda Palmer, Musician, blogger;
Larry Lessig, Legal activist

*Session 5: Dream!* - *2:00 PM-3:45 PM *
Rich + Tone Talauega, Creative directors, choreographers;
Elon Musk, Serial entrepreneur;
Mary Lou Jepsen, Screen engineer;
Jack Andraka, Cancer detector inventor;
Freeman Hrabowski, Educator;
Ji-Hae Park, Violinist;
Stewart Brand, Environmentalist, futurist

Camera Culture Lab / MIT Media Lab
77 Amherst St, Cambridge, MA
http://www.media.mit.edu
The Camera Culture group is building new tools to better capture and share visual information.  We exploit unusual optics, novel illumination, and emerging sensors to build new capture devices and develop associate algorithms.  The Media Lab is a place where the future is lived, not imagined. Our domain is applying unorthodox research approaches for envisioning the impact of emerging technologies on everyday life.

*Session 6: Create!* - *5:15pm-7:00pm *
Martin Villeneuve, Graphic artist, director;
Dong Woo Jang, Bow designer;
Jinsop Lee, Multi-sense designer;
Barb Stuckey, Food creator;
Yu "Jordy" Fu, Multifaceted designer;
Taylor Wilson, Nuclear scientist;
Kate Stone, Shepherd of electrons

*Session 7: Sustain!* - *8:00pm-9:45pm *
Leyla Acaroglu, Sustainability strategist;
Allan Savory, Grassland ecosystem pioneer;
Wang Li, Mouth musician;
Miranda Wang and Jeanny Yao, Science fair winners;
Alex Laskey, Energy software maker;
Pedrito Martinez Group, Afro-Cuban alchemists;
Michael Green, Architect;
Ron Finley, Renegade gardener

P.S.: Advance Information: TEDxBeaconStreet 2.0 will be held Nov 16 & 17, 2013 - save the dates!
P.P.S.: Stay in touch with us through updated News on our TEDxBeaconStreet.com website designed by fresh tilled soil : http://tedxbeaconstreet.com/news/