[act-ma] 3/22 Five-for-e5 Dinner to Honor 5 Boston Activists

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Mon Mar 4 17:56:16 PST 2013

**

*Five for e5 Dinner [Friday, 3/22/13, 6:30 p.m. 26 West St., Boston, 02111]:
*

On Friday, March 22, 2013, the encuentro 5 (e5) community will be honoring
5 individual activists and one organization for their powerful
contributions to our social-change movements. The occasion is our annual
Five-for-e5 dinner which starts at 6:30 p.m. at the SEIU 615 meeting hall
(26 West Street, Boston, MA 02111; visit http://dinner.encuentro5.org or
Facebook - http://on.fb.me/YpuZnC  for more details, bios and directions).

This year we are honoring Aaron Tanaka, founder of the Boston Workers
Alliance; Angela Kelly, a peace movement powerhouse since 9-11; educator
Banjineh Browne, best known as one-half of the Foundation Movement; Karen
Schneiderman, a stalwart of the Disabled People’s Liberation Front; and,
Lily Huang, a dynamo of the pro-immigrant movement.  We are also
recognizing the diligent work of the *Boston Occupier* in continuing the
work of the #Occupy Movement in new and uncertain times. With this list, it
is no wonder that a previous honoree, Sergio Reyes declared, “Every single
one of these brothers and sisters honored this year deserve our respect,
support and appreciation for their contributions to the social-change
movement. I will be happy to break bread and drink wine with my old and
young compañeros in the struggle!”

E5 is a “movement-building space” hosting many progressive non-profits and
movement organizations in a shared environment while also engaging the
broader public with educational events and activities. Now in its 7th year,
e5 promotes collaborations across issue, deepening our understandings of
oppression and exploitation, and, above all, social-change organizing.

The event will also launch the encuentro 5 long-term planning initiative.
Since our move from Chinatown last summer, e5 has been in a transitional
space and will remain so through late 2014; e5 is planning  to move to a
large, centrally-located and *fully* accessible site that provides the
office, meeting, event and organizing space that our community needs. To
make this happen, we are methodically building the foundations for an
*open*space via a series of conversations and a participatory planning
process.
The dinner will outline this process. An draft proposal is available for
download ( http://bit.ly/YpC8Ew ).