[act-ma] Friday, May 10: nationwide Day of Action Against Corporate Personhood [5 actions so far local to Boston/Cambridge; find/organize actions in your area]

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Wed May 8 11:06:15 PDT 2013

When the Supreme Court decided for corporations in the /Citizens United
v. FEC/ case, it elevated knowledge of the doctrine of "corporate
personhood" to new heights. Hundreds of thousands of people now know
what those words mean.

But as awful as /Citizens United/ is, corporate personhood wasn't
created with that case. *Corporate Personhood was concocted by corporate
lawyers 127 years ago.*

On May 10, 1886 in the /Santa Clara v. Southern Pacific Railroad /case,
the Court is said to have given corporations their first foothold in the
Constitution.

In the case, corporations argued they are protected under the 14th
amendment — the amendment passed to ensure equal protection of African
Americans after slavery was abolished. Since then, there has been case
after case
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timeline-of-Corporate-Personhood-Rights-For-USA-democracy-MoveToAmendorg/295551397226428>
in which the Court expanded the Constitutional "rights" of corporations.

*This year, on the 127th "birthday" of corporate persons, Move to Amend
activists will be organizing actions and events all over the nation.*

<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/may10_events?email_address=&address_change%5Bsubmitted_address%5D=02139&address_change%5Bdistance%5D=25&commit=Search#>
your community's action below or sign up to participate in an action
already happening near you!

      *Remember, we have a bunch of resources to help you pull off a
      great event. Click here! <https://movetoamend.org/May10#resources>*

  Find actions near you <http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/may10_events>

enter your zipcode at above link to find actions near you

  5 Actions near Boston/Cambridge:

        Banner Holding over Boston Highways
        <http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/gwaruf/banner_holding_over_boston_highways>

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:30 AM · 6 rsvps
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/gwaruf/banner_holding_over_boston_highways>

footbridges over Storrow Dr. and I-90
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Boston%2C+MA+02116%2C+United+States> in
Boston, MA

We'll be working in shifts, holding banners in two locations at a time
(we'll make a third banner in advance if enough people RSVP!). We need
2-4 people per banner, per shift. We'll definit (show all
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/may10_events#show%20more%20content>)

rsvp
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/gwaruf/banner_holding_over_boston_highways>

        Action at The Democracy Center
        <http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/mizzconnections/action_at_the_democracy_center>

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM · 7 rsvps
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/mizzconnections/action_at_the_democracy_center>

The Democracy Center
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45+Mt+Auburn+St%2C+Cambridge%2C+MA+02144%2C+United+States>
in Cambridge, MA

The Democracy Center is proud to support the actions of the Boston MTA
affiliate by providing free (!!!) fair trade coffee
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/may10_events#> for volunteers who
drop by the Center from 12:30-3 pm, where you (show all
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/may10_events#show%20more%20content>)

rsvp
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/mizzconnections/action_at_the_democracy_center>

        May 10 Banner Holding
        <http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/kathylique/may_10_banner_holding>

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 05:00 PM · 1 rsvp
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/kathylique/may_10_banner_holding>
Walnut St Bridge, Saugus, MA over Rt 1 north of Bosoton
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Saugus+%2C+MA%2C+United+States> in Saugus
, MA

We will be holding a banner from 5 to 7 at least on the bridge over Rt 1
north of Boston at the Walnut St exit

rsvp <http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/kathylique/may_10_banner_holding>

        Nahant Rotary Sign Holding
        <http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/kathylique/nahant_rotary_sign_holding>

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 05:00 PM · 6 rsvps
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/kathylique/nahant_rotary_sign_holding>

Nahant Rotary
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=end+of+Lynnway+at+the+Ocean%2C+Lynn%2C+MA+01902%2C+United+States>
in Lynn, MA

Sign holding calling for amendment to eliminate corporate personhood for
at least two hours, starting at 5 pm

rsvp
<http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/kathylique/nahant_rotary_sign_holding>

        Salem Sign Holding at Circle at Train Station
        <http://movetoamend.nationbuilder.com/kathylique/salem_sign_holding_at_circle_at_train_station>

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Intersection of 114 and 107 at the Rotary at end of North St. by Train
Station
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=End+of+North+Street%3A+Rotary%2C+Salem%2C+MA+01970%2C+United+States>
in Salem, MA

Holding signs calling for an amendment to abolish corporate personhood
rights that have been given by the courts.