[act-ma] Bikes Not Bombs is Hiring

Bikes Not Bombs mail at bikesnotbombs.org
Fri Jun 21 12:16:22 PDT 2013

*Job Opening: International Programs
Coordinator<https://bikesnotbombs.org/news/hiring-international-programs-coordinator>
*
Commitment: Full-time 35-40 hours/week; 2 years minimum
Compensation: Starting salary at $32,000/year; Benefits
Application Process: Rolling
Start Date: September 1 - October 15, 2013

Overview:

The International Programs Coordinator will work closely with the
International Programs Director, and will be primarily responsible for
coordinating technical assistance and support to Bikes Not Bombs (BNB)
international partners. This position includes extensive cross-cultural
communication, relationship building, training and facilitation, management
of project monitoring systems, container loading logistics organizing and
some international travel.

Bikes Not Bombs - International Programs:

Bikes Not Bombs uses the bicycle as a vehicle for social change. Our main
programs include our International Programs, Boston-based Youth Programs
and Bike Shop.

Through our International Programs, we partner with organizations in
Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean that share our vision of creating a
more just, sustainable and peaceful world. Bikes Not Bombs provides our
partners with bicycles, training in bicycle mechanics and organizational
management, as well as extensive technical support assisting our partners
to achieve expanded impacts, organizational sustainability and increased
self-determined development in their communities.

Bicycles are a powerful tool for increasing peoples' access to critical
resources such as health, jobs, and education, for reinforcing peoples'
dignity, community empowerment and human rights, and for achieving social
and economic development that reduces inequality and leads to justice and
peace.

Visit https://bikesnotbombs.org/international for more information on our
international partnerships.

JOB DESCRIPTION
International Programs Coordinator

This position reports to and works collaboratively with the International
Programs Director. These two staff positions make up the core staffing of
BNB International Programs. The International Programs Coordinator is an
entry-level position that offers on-the-job experiential training and
opportunities for ongoing professional development.

Primary Responsibilities Include:
1. Manage communications with our international partners
- Weekly phone calls; ongoing email contact

2. Coordinate technical support and training to our international partners
- Strategic Planning; Financial Management; Administrative and Operational
Systems; Monitoring and Evaluation Systems; Media and Communications;
Networking and Resource Development

3. Monitor project development and progress
- Track partner progress according to project plan; Customize BNB support
package to each partner

4. Write project reports
- Use monitoring data to write project-specific reports; Share project
reports with partners for feedback

5. Organize logistics of loading 40' containers with bicycles for
international shipment
- 8 shipments a year, 500 bikes each; Volunteer coordination and supervision

6. Supervise Skilled Interns
- Targeted research; Project evaluation data analysis and representation

7. Travel to international partners on site visits
- Relationship building, critical assessments, documentation, targeted
trainings

8. Participate fully in Bikes Not Bombs as a staff member
- Attend staff meetings; Support organization-wide activities and events;
Further cross-program integration

Qualifications:
* 2-3 years work experience in International Development, International
Social Entrepreneurship, International Social Movement Activism, or related
field
* Bachelors Degree or Graduate Degree (preferred) in related field
* Outstanding communication and relationship-building skills in
cross-cultural contexts
* Demonstrated commitment to leadership development and community
empowerment as international development methodology
* Experience with / knowledge of community organizing strategies
* Project management skills - experience implementing projects from start
to finish
* Self-starting initiative and creativity in work plan design
* Demonstrated skills in working as part of an active and dynamic team
* Systems oriented: ability to engage existing systems and create new
systems
* Spanish language skills preferred; French and/or Haitian Creole a plus
* Bicycle mechanics skills a plus (including interest to learn bike
mechanics)
* Computer literacy and excellent writing skills
* Experience living or traveling in Latin America, the Caribbean or Africa
* Commitment to cycling and using bicycles as a vehicle for social change

How to Apply:

1. Review the Bikes Not Bombs website to first ensure that your values align
2. Send a Cover Letter and Resume to David Branigan, International Programs
Director at david at bikesnotbombs.org
3. You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application, and
more information on next steps
4. If you have any questions about the position, please feel free to
contact David Branigan at 617-522-0222 x103
5. This is a rolling application process, and we will continue to receive
applications until we find the right candidate for the position

Thank you, and we look forward to your application!

Bikes Not Bombs is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a
diverse staff reflective of the communities it serves.
--
Bikes Not Bombs
Using the Bicycle as a Vehicle for Social Change