[act-ma] Rally today to stop government shutdown and support Budget for All

Cole Harrison cole at masspeaceaction.org
Mon Sep 30 06:13:29 PDT 2013

(corrected message)
Rally today, Monday, 12 noon -
State GOP Headquarters, 85 Merrimac St, Boston, near Haymarket T

Listen to my radio conversation yesterday with WMBR hosts Dave Goodman and
Mark Stern:  http://openmediaboston.org/node/2747

*The Budget for All campaign issues a call for an…..*

*Emergency Response to Threat of Congressional Republicans **to Shut Down
the Government **on October 1:*

*Unless a Federal Budget is passed by October 1: *

Tens of thousands will be thrown out of work,

Payments to active duty soldiers will cease;

No FHA mortgages would be approved;

Federal loans to small businesses would be suspended;

Federal research projects would be halted;

and other vital services will be threatened.

*(Boston Globe, page 1, 9/20/13)*

But *the Repunlican House Leadership has said it will do just that and
close the entire federal government by with-holding funding *unless
President Obama agrees to cancel the Affordable Care Act which provides
close to universal health Insurance coverage. The irony is that, although a
government shut down will cause incredible pain to many of our communities
and citizens, it will not directly impact implementation of Obamacare
because most of the funds were allocated at the time the law was passed.
Already the Sequester cuts have jeopardized the well-being of tens of
thousands. But a government shut-down will have far more widespread impacts
across the country and threaten the U.S. economy itself and possibly
another global shut-down.

Please Join us at this emergency action on:

*Monday, September 30 at noon*

*Republican Party Headquarters*

*85 Merrimac Street, Boston (North Station T)*

Gather at the offices of the Republican State Committee for a vigil and
press event. We will deliver a letter at this Republican Party headquarters
urging that the Massachusetts Party urge Congressional Republicans to avert
a shutdown.

Speakers will include federal employees who will be furloughed and others
directly affected by the threatened shutdown

We demand that the whole Congress stop stifling the voice of the American
People who in measures of public opinion across the country – and in the
referendum on the ballot in Massachusetts last November – have consistently
called for a Federal Budget that:

*Protects Social Security, Medicare, Veterans Benefits and other vital
programs:

*Invests in employment as the solution to our economic crisis;

*And pays for these efforts and reduces the national debt by ending massive
corporate tax loopholes, ending the war in Afghanistan, and redirecting
money from the Pentagon budget to these projects that support our families.

Congress must translate these demands into a budget, repeal the sequester
which violates these demands, and keep public programs functioning.

*This vigil will only take place if there is no agreement by Monday to
avert a shutdown.*

Sponsors include The Budget for All Campaign and MoveOn

For more information contact
617-354-2169<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=1&url=tel%3A617-354-2169>or
617-623-5288<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=2&url=tel%3A617-623-5288>
                  ****                              ****
      ------------------------------

*Join Massachusetts Peace
Action<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=3&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwebscr%3Fcmd%3D_s-xclick%26hosted_button_id%3D8VPWRVFXKJ5J8>-
or renew your membership today!
*
Dues are $40/year for an individual, $65 for a family, or $10 for student/**
**unemployed/****low income.  Members vote for leadership and endorsements,
receive newsletters and discounts on event admissions.  *Donate now and you
will be a member in good standing through December 2014!*  Your financial
support<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwebscr%3Fcmd%3D_s-xclick%26hosted_button_id%3D8VPWRVFXKJ5J8>makes
this work possible!

[image: PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay
online!]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=5&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwebscr%3Fcmd%3D_s-xclick%26hosted_button_id%3D8VPWRVFXKJ5J8>

Massachusetts Peace
Action<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.masspeaceaction.org>,
11 Garden St., Cambridge, MA 02138